Second Skin Audio

Which subs?

Edge85

Need advice on upgrading. Currently have 2 Sundown X12's on a BC3500. I have been running these subs for over a year with proper electrical done and no issues. But now I want more. I want to stick with Sundown and cant decide if I want to go with 2 X15's or 4 SA12's. I know the X series can get lower but the added cone area is attractive. I also want to keep my same amp. Box requirements will be slightly bigger than what I have now but will fit, box will be properly built and tuned like the current one. Vehicle is a WK2 Grand Cherokee. So what would yall do?

I like my SA 12s. Four of them would have more cone area if I am remembering right. Also better thermal performance from four versus two. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

So I went to the shop that built my box last time and spoke to the owner. He threw out the idea of doing 2 Zv5 15's and wiring my BC3500 down to .5 ohm and adding another D3100. Electrical will still be sufficient and I like the idea but I am unsure. I would need to get 2 ohm subs and when my current amp bites the dust I will be locked in to either 2 ohm or .5 wiring on the subs in the future. Sounds like a good idea, and I wouldn't have to upgrade amps right away. Anyone have an opinion on this? Currently the largest box I could use would be about 9 cubes net while still keeping it under the glass line in the back.

3 hours ago, Edge85 said:

So I went to the shop that built my box last time and spoke to the owner. He threw out the idea of doing 2 Zv5 15's and wiring my BC3500 down to .5 ohm and adding another D3100. Electrical will still be sufficient and I like the idea but I am unsure. I would need to get 2 ohm subs and when my current amp bites the dust I will be locked in to either 2 ohm or .5 wiring on the subs in the future. Sounds like a good idea, and I wouldn't have to upgrade amps right away. Anyone have an opinion on this? Currently the largest box I could use would be about 9 cubes net while still keeping it under the glass line in the back.

Threw out the idea of two zv5's why? I wire down whenever possible. I'm gonna tell you this though... 1zv5 will take that 3.5k @.5. I've ran an Apocalypse [email protected] on a zv5 15 before. I also ran a Wolfram 4.5k on it @.5 too. Why not 4 U series 12s? That's 8ft³ with around 128in² port area. The zv5 would sound great in 8ft³-8.5ft³ with 125-140in². The 4-12s is more cone area technically. EMF audio has a good video on YouTube about cone displacement. Sundown subwoofers with the mega roll cones are very tall. Check it out. The 4-12 have more overall cone area but the two zv5 15 will displace more air. Food for thought. Can't lose with either setup. Just get your power and electrical up. 

5 hours ago, DiBo said:

Threw out the idea of two zv5's why? I wire down whenever possible. I'm gonna tell you this though... 1zv5 will take that 3.5k @.5. I've ran an Apocalypse [email protected] on a zv5 15 before. I also ran a Wolfram 4.5k on it @.5 too. Why not 4 U series 12s? That's 8ft³ with around 128in² port area. The zv5 would sound great in 8ft³-8.5ft³ with 125-140in². The 4-12s is more cone area technically. EMF audio has a good video on YouTube about cone displacement. Sundown subwoofers with the mega roll cones are very tall. Check it out. The 4-12 have more overall cone area but the two zv5 15 will displace more air. Food for thought. Can't lose with either setup. Just get your power and electrical up. 

What I meant to say was that he came up with the idea to go with Zv5's. I know it is a loss of cone area, but I can't fit two more X12's and really want to stay in the upper tier of the Sundown lineup, not that the lower tier is bad. 2 Zv5 15's is the way I am gonna go. I know the amp won't be able to supply the full power the subs can take but it will do decent enough until I look into another one down the road. Electrical should be fine, I will have 3 D3100's and my Singer alt is still doing fine. Down the road a custom bracket, second alt,  and an amp will be the next upgrades. Thank you for the replies.

1 hour ago, Edge85 said:

What I meant to say was that he came up with the idea to go with Zv5's. I know it is a loss of cone area, but I can't fit two more X12's and really want to stay in the upper tier of the Sundown lineup, not that the lower tier is bad. 2 Zv5 15's is the way I am gonna go. I know the amp won't be able to supply the full power the subs can take but it will do decent enough until I look into another one down the road. Electrical should be fine, I will have 3 D3100's and my Singer alt is still doing fine. Down the road a custom bracket, second alt,  and an amp will be the next upgrades. Thank you for the replies.

In my opinion U series are great. I've ran those too lol. The 2 zv5's are gonna slam. Lows too. Great choice. You have enough electrical to go half ohm rt now. I ran a 4k with 2 xs power xp3000s and a Mechman 270. 3 d3100's is nice. 

25 minutes ago, DiBo said:

In my opinion U series are great. I've ran those too lol. The 2 zv5's are gonna slam. Lows too. Great choice. You have enough electrical to go half ohm rt now. I ran a 4k with 2 xs power xp3000s and a Mechman 270. 3 d3100's is nice. 

Thanks for the advice. After researching the U series they actually appear to be a good mid level woofer from Sundown. However, I like pressure and lows so I am gonna go with the Zv5's. Question for you though, when you ran 3.5k amps at .5 ohms what was your power and ground wire situation looking like? Currently my amp has 2/0 SHCA OFC wire feeding it but I am seriously considering doing another run of 2/0 to feed it and protect it. The amp only has a single power and ground terminal and I have the SHCA 2/0 to 1/0 reducers to make it work. SHCA sells a dual 2/0 to 1/0 copper reducer and I am strongly considering it. I like to overdue electrical to protect my equipment and because my Jeep is my only vehicle and I drive alot for work.

Archived