Second Skin Audio

testing higher (spl) tuning

Hello, one question.. i have 2 sa 12s with great sound quality at 35 hz tuning, 40cm x 7,5 cm slot port in the middle and 5 cubes total net volume.. car peaks at 60 hz..  box at 38... my score is highest at 60hz.. if i model the enclosure in winisd, i need a tuning of 57 hz to be able to get 8dB gain at 60 hz.. in theory... so.. is it possible (just for testing purposes and fun).. to put something in the box to lower the volume for half.. and so raise my tuning and test if numbers really go up at 60 hz? if possible.. what should i put in the box.. bricks of wood? blankets? anything else? if this is even possible.. i am sure its not legit experimenting, but just to see if numbers really go up :) thanks, and don't laugh :p

64677109_2071711852955304_4882027310330413056_o.jpg

Yh it would work. But you wanna know exactly how much space each object takes up so you can write down your results.

so work out how much space each item takes up. Do an spl test then check score.

Rinse and repeat.

if you use bottles filled with water it makes finding out displacement easier.

While reducing the internal volume of your box will raise your tuning, its also going to decrease your output at tuning, so its unlikely you are really going to gain anything.  

If you want to try a higher tuning frequency to see if you can get a bigger peak SPL number, you are probably going to have to build another box with a shorter port.  Keep in the mind the higher you tune the more port area you need as well or you will get significant port noise and port compression.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

6 hours ago, Joshy 94 said:

Does it decrease output because smaller boxes are less efficient ?

Yeah, smaller boxes are less efficient around the tuning frequency.  As you move away from the tuning frequency the size of the box has less impact on output, but for what you want to do, it all about how big the box is and where its tuned to.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Higher you tune up, the less musical you get. 

You will take a BIG chance of damaging your drivers ... 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived