Sundown Audio

Gain overlap and clipping.

Physicsguy1976

Hey guys hoping for some knowledge behind this. Been diving into the science and technical side pretty deep for about 2-3 years now and I am, I don't wanna say confused, but looking for clarification. So, looking at the relationship between gain overlap and music record levels I've found that once the recording level exceeds your particular gain overlap setting the amplifier will clip. So if you are set at a -10db overlap and you're playing say a song by DJSNT that is more of a tone style song vs. a quick multiple beat song and he records that songs 80hz and down at say a peak of -2db and an average of -5db this, in my experience and testing, will have the amp at full clip even if your voltage is still good for the entirety of the song. Now I notice that Meade will set all of his systems at -10db so I'm just looking for clarification how how this, with most heavy bass music, isn't clipping his gear? Most music even directly from the studio and artist are recorded very loud (-5 to almost 0db). Just wondering if someone with very good technical knowledge can either confirm what I think I know vs. how this really works? I did ask Steve about it on youtube and he said -10db was fine and to ignore my clip light. I would love to get more outta my system if I'm completely missing something but the more I look into it the more I feel I'm on the right track. Thanks ahead of time.

Your understanding of the problem is completely correct.   One thing to keep in mind is that having that much overlap only matters when you are playing with your headunit set at its max volume level before clipping. If you aren’t playing at war volume all the time you are probably fine. If you DO play at war volume all the time, I would suggest caution and advise you to do some things differently. 

What I do for my own music is I pretty much only play music off my phone and all my songs have been gain adjusted using replaygain. Replaygain sets everything to about -5 dB max so I can then set my amps with -5 dB of overlap and I have no clipping. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Replaygain is like an improved version of MP3gain, at least that's my understanding.  Replaygain is calculated on both a per track level and per album.  The per-album level is nice because sometimes producers intend some songs on an album to be quieter than others, so replaygain preserves that.  The technology works very well, its applying the replaygain in the first place that's the hard part.  It doesn't actually change the audio of the track, it just adds a tag so the audio player knows the proper amount of gain adjustment to make.  

I use Foobar2000 media player with a plugin to apply replaygain to my music files.  I'm an iPhone user so I then use another piece of software (MP3Tag) to convert the replaygain into Apple's native SoundCheck.  SoundCheck works just like replaygain in that it assigns a gain adjustment value to each track.  The algorithm for replaygain works better so that's why I start with it and then copy its calculated value over into the SoundCheck format.   From there my phone does all the rest.  Admittedly, it's kind of a convoluted process, but you only have to do it to your music once and the results are worth it to me.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, k58.cross said:

I am taking a very simple approach by setting my gain once with the bass knob at about 2/3, then using the bass knob with clipping indicator on it as a "variable overlap". 

you should set your gains with the bass knob all the way up.  The clipping indicator doesn't mean anything. 

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

i also set my gains with the knob at max. i know for sure where i am that way not just "2/3rds" ish.

and even at -10db overlap I rarely go full ham on the knob. i use my ears and nose as well. 

Archived