Second Skin Audio

Help! Sub placement in limited space.

Buzzard

Hey guys, I need some advice. 

I'm putting a 15" sub in the trunk of a 2011 Camaro. I'm going with a sealed enclosure because of the type of music I listen to...also, the box is easier to build and takes up less room in the trunk. 

I'd like to have the sub firing towards the taillights, but due to clearance in the trunk that's not an option as is firing towards the rear seat. 

I'd like to use the sub because it's just collecting dust and I don't want to have to buy another sub (I'd like to use what I have).

So, I have two options firing up or raise box up and fire downward. There's possibly a third option: a wedge style enclosure but even that would be at an almost 45° angle. 

Recommended sealed specifications for the sub is 1.5 to 6 cubic feet. I'm trying to meet in middlish at 3 cubic feet. 

From floor of trunk to the bottom of 6x9's in rear deck is about 14" not much space on either side of them or in between either. 

Now, I'm not looking to be heard six blocks away...not planning on competing...not trying to make hair fly. 

I'm just looking for a lower end and quality overall sound.

Any suggestions?

Makes perfect sense. 

Sealed enclosure are tighter and more accurate because of the flat response. I listen heavy metal...death metal...ported boxes are sloppy. Every ported box I've tried has been sloppy. 

Current sub is a Kicker Q class. 

I've used sundown, jl, dc, psi...all sloppy unless in a sealed box. Ported box can't keep up with it. 

58 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Makes perfect sense. 

Sealed enclosure are tighter and more accurate because of the flat response. I listen heavy metal...death metal...ported boxes are sloppy. Every ported box I've tried has been sloppy. 

Current sub is a Kicker Q class. 

I've used sundown, jl, dc, psi...all sloppy unless in a sealed box. Ported box can't keep up with it. 

Hey if sealed is what fits best for the space you have available then use sealed, but saying all ported boxes are sloppy and all sealed boxes are more accurate is like saying all red cars as fast. It’s a gross generalization and all it does is guarantee that you are wrong at least some of the time.  I’m not trying to pick on you but I suspect you have just never heard a properly designed ported box. 

In regard to your question about what way to fire your sub, neither up or down is ideal, but if you have to pick I’d down fire it to avoid as much trunk rattle as possible. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived