Sonic Electronix

Wanted to say hi tell my story and get some input on my upcoming setup

First off hi everyone, its my first post on the forum. I've been into car audio systems for a long time and have had many setups in many vehicles over the years. But im 33 now and its been about 5 years since ive had anything hooked up. Started off in 10th grade with one of those hexagon sony xplod 12s in a sealed box with a sony 1600D mono amp in my 90 gmc sierra extended cab with a walmart panasonic hu. Year or 2 later got a bit more into it had 4 audiobahn 10s in the trunk of my 02 olds alero in a 5 cube vented box subs and vents up powered by a crossfire BMF1000D (this amp got me hooked on stereos) powered by an alpine . A year or 2 later I blew 1 or 2 subs and fried the amp (poor grounding learning lesson for life). Started over same vehicle once again got a bit more into it. put a 7.4 cube box with a single crossfire xs 15 dual 1 ohm VC wired to .5 ohm powered by a crossfire vr1000d amp with one of those really huge excavator batteries sitting on the floor in the back (dont know why lol). Don't remember the tuning but it was very low i wanted the low lows. Amp handled the .5 ohm like a champ ended up wrecking the car all drunk and pulling the system. The box sits in my upstairs still as a end table with a table cloth on it 15+ years later :). Had the itch got a little more serious. Bought a 97 cadillac sts. Couple VR multi chans had my friend who owned the local audio shop set it up custom fiberglass boxes for the highs all crossfire audio. Tweeters kick panels 6x9s etc. He took the back window out and turned the trunk into a total custom vinear hardwood audio masterpeice. Heres a pic of the build circa 2006ish. Could see it all though the back window was sweet. 311313_10150886517085430_1743417435_n.jpg.729531f30e2c6a7986773bb39a09037b.jpg

Ended up getting into trouble with the law losing license etc my rough patch in life. Blew the 15 with no way to take it out without taking the rear window back out. Sold the car to a friend with everything because needed cash.

Few years later got back onto my feet wasnt doing the things i was doing before to afford as nice a car and stereo at the time. Also wasnt going to jail all the time. Ended up picking up a 97 buick park ave supercharged. One look in that trunk I was sold. This was about 2010 now. Bought 2 RE Audio SE 15 dual 4 ohms and had a custom box built for them for the trunk of the buick, sparing no space. We literally sledge hammered the corners square to take turns kicking the box in to fit after removing all the trim lol. I believe it to be 8.4 cubes. I will need help determining this as it is my current system still and I want to know the tuning on it because i forgot everything over these last many years of being out. I have all the dimensions. Powered it with a Hifonics Brutus BXI2010D 2000rms mono amp with an optima red under the hood and in the trunk. Top of the line at the time and still own and love it Alpine CDA-9887 HU. Subs up port back. Hit the lows because i love the lows. Blew the tranny in the car pulled the system. It spent some time in a chevy blazer. Subs up port forward because for some reason and this is what bugs me it had noticably more bass with the port forward in the chevy blazer instead of firing back? No clue.

Life story over onto the current build and what I need feedback on. First off I want to know the tuning of my box (would much appreciate it) (pictures to follow) Dimensions are as follows 39" long, 36" long, 15" height. Center port dimensions are 11.5" tall (hair over) 6.5" wide and a depth of 15". I am hoping someone can tell me the tuning of the box so I can know how to set all my amp settings. It hits the low notes I requested it be a bit lower IDK if they did I never built the boxes was just present during the builds but it was supposed to be to spec for my 2 RE SE 15s.

Current Build. Same system in the back of a 2009 Chevy Tahoe LT (seems I cant upload any more pics im out of allowed size lol) 0 gauge wire its oxygen free CCA should be plenty for the draw. 12 gauge ofc knukoncepts speaker wire to amp and voice coils. Wired to 1 ohm OC. Powered by Kenwood Excelon DNX692 head unit.

70595444_651273351947646_1453041857767407616_n.thumb.jpg.bd22507981b8565546199de67cae1726.jpg

The space, rear seats out back seats folded forward. Thanks for readin and thank you for any help or advice you have for me. I will match the amp gain to the hus preout of 5v a bit less since the subs cant handle it all. Subsonic is at a bit over 20. I can usaully hear chipping and will stop it. Either that or smell the voice coils then stop it haha. Should I turn it around and have the port backwards? And sorry about the large images off my gfs phone. I don't have a program to resize them they were sent to my FB to my pc. Thats all the pics. Just want some input I set the HPF on the HU to 120 and the LP to 80 already All I have to do is hook up the RCA cable which ill do tomarrow hopefully had no time today. Also box material is 3/4 MDF and the port itself does a good job as a brace being 15 inches deep its very sturdy.

1.jpg

69841345_2469988066599286_7322776689715445760_n.jpg

Welcome to SMD Brother. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

12 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

Welcome to SMD Brother. 

Thanks man. hoping to take up the hobby again. Maybe start out with this end up with a wall with 4 hcca 15s lol. Skys the limit. Box takes up all that space as it is might as well just be a wall back there. Or just a couple better 15s. See how this sounds first. I never competed was always just for self pleasure

19 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

I'd set your amp gain for max clean output then dial it back using the sw level of the hu if your amp is too much for the subs. 

Im just going to find wherever my highs max out at clean with the head unit and adjust my amp to have my subs banging at their max without any distortion at the same volume. Would I not want to take advantage of the 5v pre outs and let the head unit provide as much as possible and turn my gain down on the amp to where my woofers are clean? That would result in the best sound I figured less noise. The gain is only as powerful as the signal its receiving from the HU is telling it to be I always thought

Archived