Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

New to this


Shaunwilson

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a Audi A4 2014, looking for a nice twin 12” enclosure with amp but need it to run off the standard system. I’m in Scotland. What’s my options for this. 
 

Aiming for around 1000w rms enclosure with built in amp or stand alone amp. Enclosure has to be ported. 
 

cheers or any help 

 

Shaun Wilson

Posted

This on the Skar Audio website, Many other companies do this look for loaded enclosures on the site.

27527ABE-3280-4C6D-A061-2A93D698C053.png

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Posted

Thanks Ron, will have a look through. Do you know if this will work through the Audi standard system, it has a standard subwoofer on the shelve but just lacking on the nice clean bass when on full.

Posted
59 minutes ago, Shaunwilson said:

Thanks Ron, will have a look through. Do you know if this will work through the Audi standard system, it has a standard subwoofer on the shelve but just lacking on the nice clean bass when on full.

If the subwoofer wires are accessible you'll tap into those and use a line converter unless the amp you choose has a high level input to handle the voltage. 

There may be a low pass filter on the factory subwoofer line but that won't matter much since you'll be setting one anyway. If the rear speakers are accessible you can tap into those too but that's less desirable since your fader would be tied to the subwoofer.

When you tap into the wires, if you can't find a wiring diagram saying which is positive you'll want to check. I use a phase popper with a small speaker but a volt meter might work. Check if there's continuity between ground and one of the wires, if there is then that's your negative. I'm not 100% sure that'll work as I've never done it but it might? Hopefully you can find a wiring diagram, that'd be the best way.

With 1000w, I'd go with something like a single Sundown SA 12. They don't require whole lot of airspace and it'd have no problem taking 1,000w.

Posted

Awesome info buddy. Will go look at the line converter and see what the deal is with the wiring on the standard subwoofer, tapping into that sounds the better option. 
 

much appreciated for the help 

 

shaun 

Posted

R&B can get kinda low, If you were focused on that I'd say get a box tuned around 32-33hz but listening to metal I tend to go for 35-36hz, it's a good balance because it'll hit a lot of the lows with some R&B and still hit the kick drum pretty good. I run a single 10" RE Audio in my truck and I just got a 10" Sundown SA series for another vehicle. I'm blown away by the SA series. My recently EOL'd Nissan Sentra had a single SA 8 V2 in the trunk and even that blew me away, it was louder than my RE 10 that's in the cabin with me in the Silverado. I'm a basshead, I like loud bass with minimal wattage so I don't have to upgrade electrical systems. If you're more into sound quality than SPL there's other people here who can help with that but a common recommendation I see is the Fi Xv3, I like the looks of the 12". I listen mostly to Slayer, Psycroptic, Lamb of God etc.. I tend to go with 10's due to the balance of required airspace and amount of bass I get (there's exceptions to those rules). The Xv3 can be put in a sealed box where the Sundown SA doesn't do as well sealed. If you're wanting an easy setup, Xv3 12 (dual 2 ohm version) would pair well with an amp that can run ~1,000w @ 1-ohm. If you go with an SA 12 (or SA 10 if you go smaller) you'll want a ported box. Here's a couple examples of each sub and an amp to power it, flip a coin. One thing to consider, the Skar amp accepts a high level input so you can jumper your factory sub wires over to it without a line converter, it accepts regular power wire without using a special terminal and it includes a bass knob.

 

An SA-10 D2 can be ported in as small as 1 cu ft before displacement and it'll sound great tuned at 32hz. Plus it'll happily take that Skar amp's RMS power. If space is a concern, that's a great option. I can point you to various box designs, some with cut sheets. I can even share the cut sheets for the one (1.25) I just built.

 

amps:

 

https://www.americanbassusa.com/index.php/ph-1600-md.html

 

https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/lpv2-car-audio-amplifiers/products/lp-1000-1dv2-car-amplifier

 

subwoofers:

 

https://ficaraudio.com/product/xv3-series/

 

https://www.amazon.com/SA-12-REV-3-Sundown-Audio-Subwoofer/dp/B00EVZDW00

 

Posted

Shockingly, the SA 10 is (currently) more expensive than an SA 12. Maybe since the 12's are so popular they can run a lower margin. The 10 can still put out great SPL and it requires 2/3 the net volume, plus a smaller port area so you can get a close enough sound with a significantly smaller box if you're trying to retain trunk space. If you want tips on box designs just let me know your available trunk space and take a picture so I can get an idea of its layout.

 

Personally, I like ported SA's but you'll get a flatter response throughout the range if you go with the Xv3 in a sealed enclosure. That's easier and maybe that's what you're after? Either way, let me know what you choose. Good luck

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4783 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...