Sonic Electronix

Kind of a dilemma, your thoughts plz

Alright, so I just finished my box for the Skar EVL 18, and it sounds ef'ing phenomenal ! It digs super deep, but yet can play such tight, snappy bass too, you would think it was four 10"s. Best build (out of probably 30) that I've ever created. It's 5 cubes, and tuned to 30.48 hz with two 15" passive radiators. REALLY happy with this setup.

But theirs only one thing that's messing with me.... My new Wolfram 2400.1 is only seeing a 2 ohm load.... So its only putting out an actual 1300 and change (according to actual tests on SMD testing equipment)  Well, the Skar EVL 18 is rated for 1250 RMS, so that's perfect, right ? But it kills me that I have 2500 available, and only using half of it :( 

So lets say I were to do a direct swap out, of my DVC 4 ohm EVL 18, for a DVC 2 ohm EVL 18. Okay, so instantly I'm able to make double the watts, however, now the sub is getting WAY more power than it should, so I'd be way more likely to fry it. Plus, when modeling in WinIsd my Passive radiators will be subject to big time over excursion.... and besides all of this, doubling the wattage only shows about a 2 1/2 db gain in SPL :( 

Modeling a whole bunch of different 18" subs for 2500 wts, I get no more than 2 1/2 db gains, and some almost no gain at all !

Long story short, right now I'm totally guilty of thinking like my GF ! Which is to say, "This just SEEMS wrong"..... Never mind the facts of the matter that this is the best sounding box I've ever created. If only I "thought" I was actually giving my 18" 2500 wts RMS, I would be totally happy.

Your thoughts ?

image_82940.jpg

Archived