Second Skin Audio

American Bass VFL-8 Box design

Scotnemily

Looks like the 8” will be a pain to put a 90 degree on it. I could do 4, 4” ports. It should be about the same as the single 8” port. It would be easier to get elbows for. 

I also am thinking about trying that earthquake Pump-12 PR. It looks interesting. If it works that would be perfect. I could put it in the box and vent it out the top or something...

4 4" is buying new pipe and 4 4" 90s tho right? Can't get an 8" 90? Or me myself would cut sections out of 8" sonotube to make a semi smooth 90 and use fiberglass to make it solid .... But that's if I went round vs slot, I think u can kinda see why I use slot ports huh? Very easy just eat a lil more volume but also act as bracing too. I have issues with determining how much volume a round port takes up, especially when u have to bend it cause the 90 isn't the same diameter as the piping itself. Any place that carries plumbing stuff could probably order you short section of 8" schedule 40 pvc and a swooping 90.... personally wouldn't get a regular 90 cause it's a tight turn, like a drainage ( or maybe called sewer 90?) One is a bit longer and smoother transition.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Yeah. My problem is I have never done a slot port and don’t know if that 3”x27” is going to work. But yeah I would have to buy all of the 4 inch stuff. Those 90 degree elbows I bought for my 6 inch were like $40 each. Would hate to see how much 8” would be... plus I would have to buy all of that stuff too. The sonotube would work, but it would be work. The slot port would be easier. I sent an email out to PSI asking them about their high excursions PR. They are expensive though. I also sent earthquake an email for more info on that pump-12 and their other PRs. I have to say, I might just buy one of those pump-12 prs and try it out in my teat box I was wanting to build. I could test 2 things that way and post my feedback. I am sure there would be a few people that would like to see some demo videos on them and would like to know if they work...

A slot port requires about same port area as a round port , think it's just aeroports u can cheat a little with cause if the flares. Slot port is very very easy. I use Torres ( pm me and I can send u .exe file via email, most links for it don't work or download u bs Instead) . Port length is easy to calculate also. Like I said I use a slot just because it requires nothing extra to buy and adds bracing at same time. Triticums port calculator says optimal slot and aero is same number ( what I sent ya the other day, can't remember now) so it's not like u r losing much, slot may take a little more displacement but about same as would a brace ya know? If you are not familiar with Torres gimme sum max measurements and I'll get ya a design if you are interested.

But the passive radiator thing may be interesting, but isn't there a ratio? 4 8s are just bigger than a pair of 15s and like 3 12s for cone area, u may end up with a HUGE box going that way, I may be wrong cause I have no experience with those, but any setup I've seen has been a single smaller sub pushing a single bigger radiator to get more output. I'd say using 4 8s (in my mind atleast) would need like 3 15 radiators to make it worth a shit, again I may be completely incorrect with my way if thinking about how that works too.

KIMG0246.JPG

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Thanks M8. I do have torres. Like I said I have just never done it. Probably wouldn’t be all that hard. 

from reading most of the time you need around 1.5-2 time cone area for each passive radiator. If the PR has a lot more excursion this can change that some. I actual only have 5” of cone on these 8” subs. So only 19.625 cone area not the 50” of 8”. Regardless even using the 50” cone area that gives me right at 200 total inches. The pump 12 says it is good up to 226” cone area.

here is a screenshot of a page from the manual.

pRWAKjY.jpg

I guess I will call Earthquake tomorrow if I don’t get an email before that. Also might just buy one and try it as long as it has a return policy. I think I saw one on amazon... 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWDYV7T/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_Z4GrEb2VTCMJX

I was reading on those pump 12s, I was looking at them a few years back also, basically emulating a ported enclosure is all you are doing and only benefit I can see it that u can get away with a little smaller box. Cool thing with em is by adding weight u can tune to where u want without modifying a port . Gonna be interesting and also may be alot of messing around to get it right. 

16 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

I was reading on those pump 12s, I was looking at them a few years back also, basically emulating a ported enclosure is all you are doing and only benefit I can see it that u can get away with a little smaller box. Cool thing with em is by adding weight u can tune to where u want without modifying a port . Gonna be interesting and also may be alot of messing around to get it right. 

Yeah the messing around with it is what I don't want to have to do. I am hoping talking to them we can get it really close on the first go (if I use it) But it would save me from having a big long port. and in the test box I am thinking about putting it in the same surface as the subs. maybe even in a small removable panel so I can test with and without. and I might have the side panel on one side removable too. So I can try a 6" port there vs the PR in the front. one main concern I have besides will it work or be crap, is the specs say to use the sealed box size plus the displacement of the Pump 12. If I am using the sealed box size then I don't even know if I can fit that thing in there. Not to mention the idea of having a side that I can add a port. the box will not be the correct size for that. If this is all the case then it would seem that if it fits, I would only be able to test sealed vs this PR. And even that would be a little Off since I have to make the sealed box slightly larger than specs call out.

For what you are gonna spend on the pump 12 you can probably get a "big ass port" that'll work and u KNOW it's gonna sound good first time out, but what's the fun in that right? Lol...I'm a glutton for punishment also so I feel ur struggle!

LOL yeah the problem I was having with the BAP is length. I have to have a 90 degree bend in it...

Just to chime in, I got 53 square inches of port area on my two Atomic AP 8's. I might be blind but how much power are you running to your woofers?

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

Archived