Second Skin Audio

American Bass VFL-8 Box design

Scotnemily

Ok I did a little playing around and came up with this design for the Yukon. It is not finalized by no means. I have to still confirm dims on the yukon it's self. Here is kind of where I am going with it though.

oxzpjMI.png

Window into the subs. white interior to help them pop. also will probably do some led lighting.

zxBPemC.png

Here is a crude x-section to show more detail.

bYmEHKS.png

Here is a view from the front looking up into it a little.

rG1wPqO.png

Right now the box specs are 2.8 ish ft^3 internal volume. port is 36" x 1.5"  and 37" in length.

Not sure if that 1.5" is going to be wide enough. And it is all subject to change at this point. this is just a rough first pass. 

Sorry I am using a different sub model I have so it isn't yellow...

Thoughts?

My main concern is this is going to play more like a 4th order band pass. And I didn’t aim to set it up that was so if it does then probably all of the numbers are way off from what I am expecting. If not, is that port going to be large enough? Thanks for the help!

Thanks, I do know the XD 8s are not the same. I wont mix and mach any of those. I don't even want to have the one that says VFL and the others that say American Bass together, even if they are the exact same sub with a different dust cap. In the end I will be going with 4 identical subs. I might even end up with some soundqubed or something, but the box shouldn't change that much. I would need to put a different logo on it lol. :) 

Thanks though M8 as always your Input is much appreciated! 

I personally think that's waaay too small for a ported setup, if it's a bandpass my opinion isn't valid lol. I had a 6" wide port and like 36" long ( from memory on length but width I'm certain) for my 4 hds2.108s ...lots of port area cause the move ALOT of air.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

6 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

I personally think that's waaay too small for a ported setup, if it's a bandpass my opinion isn't valid lol. I had a 6" wide port and like 36" long ( from memory on length but width I'm certain) for my 4 hds2.108s ...lots of port area cause the move ALOT of air.

Ok thanks I was wondering if it was. I will tweak it some and see what I can come up with. I Hope someone can tell me if this is indeed going to be a 4th order and if so what I need to do to either make it play like I want to to change it. I am guessing the obvious fix would be change where the port is. right now it is being designed for what I want it too look like vs Ideal sub placement ect. I had to start somewhere though.

Use triticums port calculator on the forum...I've built half dozen boxes with it and been very happy with the way it sounds. Search the forum for port calculator and it'll come up...doesn't seem mobile friendly so may have to use pc

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Yeah thanks I was going to enter stuff in it too, just haven't gotten a chance to do it on the computer...

Thanks I was thinking I might call at lunch time. I have been reading a lot online but thought it might be better to just call and get the history and details of what is going on. Please let me know if you do call. Or I will just plan on calling in 2 hours or so and post the results

Archived