Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

oh, i didnt see any ports. Lol my bad bro

so about 1200rms your giving them, even if you double that power sometime in the future you will be banging a lot tougher!

But I spouse being a pt cruiser space is very limited :(

That does kinda suck for having no room for batteries, but it just means you gotta get creative which is never a bad thing :)

edit:

PS: I still like the oh shit handles :yahoo: :yahoo:

Maybe someday bigger amps. There is some guy on youtube with 8 of them in a ported straight wall, with a lot more airspace than mine and a big port, not sure how much power he is running, but he cracked his windshield with them.

I was way more attracted to the design and knew I would have to sacrifice output to be able to use Steve's idea, but since I did not plan to compete with it, and came from a sealed box with 4 12's and a 46 hz rolloff, I figured 38 hz was still a big improvement in tuning and I tripled the power that I used to run, too. :D

It's never gonna truly impress you guys that run several thousand watts, I'm sure I could have run the 1100 watts to one sub, but that would have made for a boring looking install in my opinion. :(

I hope it does show what can be done with very inexpensive amps and subs, and motivates others here to try something bigger, and learn a lot in the process.

Next for me comes a custom painted 2006 PT Cruiser center console with my scan gauge and remote radar detector mounted in it. Then back to working on the car. Lowering it with H&R springs, want to try some aftermarket front seats, add a homelink transmitter, and some new graphics.!

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

AVATAR.jpg

MY BUILD LOG

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

So I was waiting on the PT getting new Stoptech brakes installed this weekend when a guy compliments saying the PT looks nice. I told him the outside is rather sedate compared to the inside, and he mentioned that he did pro audio for many years and after a quick look inside, he would love to hear it! :D

Turns out he is a pro sound engineer and toured with Rick Trevino (country singer) running the sound booth.

He had his grand son with him, so I played some Rascal Flatts for them at full volume. He said it was well balanced and very clean sounding! Grandson sat in the passenger seat and smiled away!

Just had to post this, cause it's a great feeling when someone with that kinda experience compliments the sound! :yahoo:

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

AVATAR.jpg

MY BUILD LOG

Posted

nice job man :good: at first i was like those subs are barley moving, until i saw the jeezy hypnotize video, then i saw some good excursion. overall very clean build, and sounds great. :clapping:

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

Posted

I was way more attracted to the design and knew I would have to sacrifice output to be able to use Steve's idea, but since I did not plan to compete with it, and came from a sealed box with 4 12's and a 46 hz rolloff, I figured 38 hz was still a big improvement in tuning and I tripled the power that I used to run, too. :D

why do you say your sacrificing output to use my idea? How do you know you didnt GAIN output using that design? Your not running that much power at all, maybe the fact its basicly a big bandpass box is helping you ;)

It's never gonna truly impress you guys that run several thousand watts, I'm sure I could have run the 1100 watts to one sub, but that would have made for a boring looking install in my opinion. :(

im impressed by systems ALL THE TIME whether or not they have anything near mine...i judge (in my mind) how good someones system is on a case by case basis :) If its a 500w system but its fu#king awesome, i always give props. Now on the 1100 to one sub, that wouldnt be very boring if you put 1100 to one sub times eight ;) ;)....i say do it :) Then we will see how much that design is holding you back http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/hairtrick.gif


All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

 

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916
 

 

 

Posted

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. This is basically a three chamber single reflex bandpass enclosurePosted Image, with 8 woofers, and the middle being the reflex or port that is tuned, in essence the woofers are mounted in sealed enclosures and firing into a ported chamber? Would there be any difference in output if you were to port the chambers that the woofers are mounted in, which would then label the whole thing to be a three chamber dual reflex bandpass enclosure,Posted Image?

This is a clean and well executed setup, only wish you had more power going to them.

Bass Music Producer • Photographer • Graphic Designer

--------------

Deep Sector Boom...

Posted

I was way more attracted to the design and knew I would have to sacrifice output to be able to use Steve's idea, but since I did not plan to compete with it, and came from a sealed box with 4 12's and a 46 hz rolloff, I figured 38 hz was still a big improvement in tuning and I tripled the power that I used to run, too. :D

why do you say your sacrificing output to use my idea? How do you know you didnt GAIN output using that design? Your not running that much power at all, maybe the fact its basicly a big bandpass box is helping you ;)

It's never gonna truly impress you guys that run several thousand watts, I'm sure I could have run the 1100 watts to one sub, but that would have made for a boring looking install in my opinion. :(

im impressed by systems ALL THE TIME whether or not they have anything near mine...i judge (in my mind) how good someones system is on a case by case basis :) If its a 500w system but its fu#king awesome, i always give props. Now on the 1100 to one sub, that wouldnt be very boring if you put 1100 to one sub times eight ;) ;)....i say do it :) Then we will see how much that design is holding you back http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/hairtrick.gif

Sacificing output because I did not have enough airspace available to get the tuning any lower than 38 hz. Nothing to do with your design at all, just the space limits of my PT! :D

...and I'm pleased with it as is, so no more power upgrades for me.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

AVATAR.jpg

MY BUILD LOG

Posted

Steve had advised me to at least try to get it under 35hz tuning when I PM'd him along time ago.

I stuck with the Hifonics recommended tuning at 38 hz because I did not have enough airspace in the PT to get a lower tune, I went through two full months of playing with numbers and this is the best I could do within the space of my PT.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH STEVE'S DESIGN!

I had to limit it to get 8 subs into my PT. I am more than sure that the center chamber has some sort of effect on increasing output, but I don't know how to prove it.

The subs are not SPL subs at all, they are the entry level Hifonics subs getting 137 watts each and they move!

Its enough to cause ear fatigue within 1 or 2 songs at full volume.

Could it have been better tuned, maybe, but building this big inside a car and I decided to play it safe.

I WOULD RATHER HAVE A DEFINITE 38 HZ TUNE THAN TO TRY FOR LOWER AND HAVE SCREWED IT ALL UP!

It is exactly what I had hoped for in terms of sound and looks even better!

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

AVATAR.jpg

MY BUILD LOG

Posted

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. This is basically a three chamber single reflex bandpass enclosurePosted Image, with 8 woofers, and the middle being the reflex or port that is tuned, in essence the woofers are mounted in sealed enclosures and firing into a ported chamber? Would there be any difference in output if you were to port the chambers that the woofers are mounted in, which would then label the whole thing to be a three chamber dual reflex bandpass enclosure,Posted Image?

This is a clean and well executed setup, only wish you had more power going to them.

Steve already posted in the hoopty thread that this is just two ported boxes facing eachother, the center chamber is not tuned.

There has to be some sort of gain from the center chamber though, all that sound can only go one direction = forward!

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

AVATAR.jpg

MY BUILD LOG

Posted

why are you pissed? im not, i was just tryin to figure out whre you were coming from. How much air space is each one of those subs getting?

also, it is indeed two ported boxes facing eachother.......but in reality it is a 6th order.


All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

 

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916
 

 

 

Posted

why are you pissed? im not, i was just tryin to figure out whre you were coming from. How much air space is each one of those subs getting?

also, it is indeed two ported boxes facing eachother.......but in reality it is a 6th order.

I can't remember the details, i'll have to dig out my paperwork, it was 5 months ago! :D

I think it was ~1.55 each, maybe a little more, cant remember what the internal bracing and the baskets displaced.

I had several posts with the Maxxsonics guys and they said 38 hz was about as good as I could have done. Tuning is never a exact science and no one here posted anything telling me to go against what Maxxsonics recommended on their forum.

Part of me thinks that a bigger, and more volume port might have yielded a lower tune but not if I didn't have enough airspace, but I was not willing to gamble.

I think you had told me to try to get it down to 35 hz at least.

I don't know how to describe it, unlike Steve's design and the Hoopty build (not to compare) which can do SPL and Music. Mine is really impressive on music. Sure there is a gain in output from that design, but I don't think mine would impress anyone with SPL, it's just not powerfull enough.

I really love the experience I gained, but I am pissed that people only care about how loud it will get and not about how good it sounds! The car has 3 layers of thick sound deadener throughout, it don't flex! I could have skipped the deadener and it would have made for some impressive video, but what is the point!

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

AVATAR.jpg

MY BUILD LOG

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1705 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...