Second Skin Audio

Questions about 6th orders...

fishchris1

So yes, if I were going to build a 6th order (and at this point, I think it's not a matter of if, but when) I would most definitely pay a professional to design said enclosure, around my sub(s) of choice. But would I really need everything, right down to a cut sheet ?

What I'm asking is, couldn't an optimum 6th order be built with only the following info:

Rear box volume

Rear box port dimensions in SQ inches and length

Front box volume

Front box porting in SQ inches and length

Or should I ask, isn't a 6th order no more that two ported (4th order) boxes ? 

I totally get that one half of a 6th order, totally effects the other half.... And that one couldn't just model two seperate 4th orders and slap them together, but I'm just talking about "IF" a professional had already modeled this enclosure as a 6th order.... 

16 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

Probably depends on if you are doing a series or parallel tuned 6th order.

This..... https://images.app.goo.gl/wQN8GZpH9iRnWxsC7

Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is how this one was designed.

Very straight forward. Its really just a rear box, ported and tuned, with a second space in front, also ported and tuned.

I'm far from an expert on anything enclosure related. I can pretty much calculate box volume pretty well most of the time, that's about as much as I would trust my enclosure knowledge :)

It seems like that would be fine, assuming you didn't do anything dumb like face the ports 2" from the roof or something. Manufacturers give generic specs for ported enclosures in a similar way. You just have to be smart and not fill your entire trunk with subs 2" from the trunk lid and your port 2" from the back of the car even though the enclosure meets specs.

There very well could be other issues with bandpass enclosures and how they interact with the vehicle or the enclosure shape. Way beyond anything I understand though.

I asked about parallel vs series since the chamber with the subs has both ports in a series tuned version. Might be more issues with exactly how it is designed in that case. Or maybe not.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

6 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

I'm far from an expert on anything enclosure related. I can pretty much calculate box volume pretty well most of the time, that's about as much as I would trust my enclosure knowledge :)

It seems like that would be fine, assuming you didn't do anything dumb like face the ports 2" from the roof or something. Manufacturers give generic specs for ported enclosures in a similar way. You just have to be smart and not fill your entire trunk with subs 2" from the trunk lid and your port 2" from the back of the car even though the enclosure meets specs.

There very well could be other issues with bandpass enclosures and how they interact with the vehicle or the enclosure shape. Way beyond anything I understand though.

I asked about parallel vs series since the chamber with the subs has both ports in a series tuned version. Might be more issues with exactly how it is designed in that case. Or maybe not.

Sure, I totally hear you. No trunks for me though..... I totally prefer either a super cab truck (which is usually best if chopped out ;) ) or an SUV, for a stereo wagon :) 

But again, if you look at the build in that vid, it looks really straight forward.... just a regular tuned ported enclosure in the back, that plays another enclosure in the front, with a very large rectangle port leading to the cab :) Bam ! Easy peasy ! 

Oh BTW, in the vid, the guy mentioned that this enclosure was designed by Brian Chamberlain. Looked him up, and he currently works for Sundown Audio. Just sent him an e-mail to see if he will do custom 6th order designs, and what he charges. Oh, and another guy who could probably do this, and that I would totally trust, would be Bobby Gately.....

As I have said, just give me the numbers ! I'll slap that chit together, and it will be within .002 cubic centimetres :) lol Okay... maybe not quite, but very stinking close ! I'm good with math.

With 6th orders they can be great or a flop.... getting them dialed in is the key...cause on paper/design can be WAY different then the in car response cause cab,windows up,windows down,1 door open,both doors open etc changes the loading/impedance characteristics/tuning of them ALOT... I’ve been running a 6th order for 4 years and took me about a year to get it dialed to what it is today...I gained 3db alone just messing with the ports not adding power or changing subs...

spacer.png

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

It’s 2 Sundown NSV4 18s on 2 Sundown SCV7500s Currently does 155+ from 19hz-58hz 

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

24hz-34hz is where it really shines though 

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

TYSM Kalilac619. Your build looks super impressive ! Great frequency range too. So, let me ask you this... did you just sit down by yourself to begin with, and design the original enclosure ? The reason I ask, is that "I totally get" all the stuff you brought up... cab space, windows or doors open or closed, etc, having a huge effect on the performance. And it is for these reasons, I'd really want a guru like Brian Chamberlain, or Bobby Gately, to design the setup in the first place. Maybe even those guys would have do a little experimenting, but I think they could hit it much closer than I could, on the first try. And again, if only they could give me the numbers, I can build that chit spot on for cubes and porting.

PS, here goes my OCD brain again.... but the thought is going through my head, that the cubic footage of any cab, of any vehicle, is usually available somewhere, from the manufacturer. The "springiness" of that volume of air, can be easily calculated. But wait... your box takes up X cubes of that space ? No problem. Simply subtract that amount, and calculate for the new amount of cab space. I wonder if the gurus are doing this ? I bet they are.....

Ram Designs is the one who designed my 6th order....but in his design,he designed it to where I could change out the rear port and front to get it all dialed in...rear port has Ben changed roughly 6 times staring with a 6in aero port to an 8in and now a 10in aero....added extensions to lower rear tuning and removed to up tuning while swapping out different sized front ports...front port has been changed roughly 8 times 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

Archived