Big 6 Diesel Truck Wire Upgrades

In the Process of doing the Big 6 upgrade to my 07 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Cummins and I have a few questions. Big 6= 2Neg from each battery, 1Pos from alternator, 1 Crossover Cable from battery to battery. 

1. Should I fuse the Battery crossover Cable? It's not fused from the factory but this is the 2nd battery that's blown up(passenger side both times) so it's getting 1/0.

The ECM regulates Voltage but it pulls that Voltage from the driverside battery and the Alt is ran to the passenger side. 

1a. If so what size fuse? Stock alternator is 136A. 

2. Is running a second POS from the Alternator to the other battery a good idea? Or is that doubling my Voltage? Baddd🤣 

3. My truck has always (since I've owned it) had dual post batteries on both sides. Is there any disadvantage running one amp to the top post and one to the side post to keep wiring cleaner? 

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

I would fuse the run between the batteries, as close to each battery as possible. So 2 fuse points, so the majority of the cable is protected. The size fuse depends on what that 1/0 you're running between the batteries can handle, and/ or the draw from the aftermarket things you're running. I would think a 300a or 250a fuse should be fine. Running another cable from the alternator to the other battery I don't think would make a difference unless you're running massive amounts of equipment and your power draw its crazy. And using both posts to keep the wiring cleaner, I wouldn't think would make a difference, but someone with a little more knowledge about battery setup could answer that with a little more confidence than I 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

I would fuse the run between the batteries, as close to each battery as possible. So 2 fuse points, so the majority of the cable is protected. The size fuse depends on what that 1/0 you're running between the batteries can handle, and/ or the draw from the aftermarket things you're running. I would think a 300a or 250a fuse should be fine. Running another cable from the alternator to the other battery I don't think would make a difference unless you're running massive amounts of equipment and your power draw its crazy. And using both posts to keep the wiring cleaner, I wouldn't think would make a difference, but someone with a little more knowledge about battery setup could answer that with a little more confidence than I 

Alright Good deal! Appreciate it! I think it's rated to 285-300amps. I do have several accessories but other than my fuel pump everything else has a pretty low amp draw. 

It's 1/0 welding cable I added marine grade heat shrink too and terminated. 

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

4 hours ago, shane35fowler said:

In the Process of doing the Big 6 upgrade to my 07 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Cummins and I have a few questions. Big 6= 2Neg from each battery, 1Pos from alternator, 1 Crossover Cable from battery to battery. 

1. Should I fuse the Battery crossover Cable? It's not fused from the factory but this is the 2nd battery that's blown up(passenger side both times) so it's getting 1/0.

The ECM regulates Voltage but it pulls that Voltage from the driverside battery and the Alt is ran to the passenger side. 

1a. If so what size fuse? Stock alternator is 136A. 

2. Is running a second POS from the Alternator to the other battery a good idea? Or is that doubling my Voltage? Baddd🤣 

3. My truck has always (since I've owned it) had dual post batteries on both sides. Is there any disadvantage running one amp to the top post and one to the side post to keep wiring cleaner? 

Fusing never hurts.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Here's the Yellow Top going Kabooms 🙄

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

That video won't load, at least on my phone it doesn't

Sorry about that. .. I'm new so I may not be doing it correctly. 

5 hours ago, shane35fowler said:

Sorry about that. .. I'm new so I may not be doing it correctly. 

Trust me, I understand. It took me probably a month and a half to just figure out how to navigate this site lol. I'm not a "techy"kind of guy at all. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived