Super cap safety ?

So, assuming you can get them charged to the same voltage as your resting battery voltage... have checked that the individual caps are all good, and very close in individual voltage.... have a quick, easy way to disconnect the power (quick fuse removal) .... Am I missing something on the safety check list ?

Do these things just ever catch on fire, or explode ??? 

They just seem kind of crazy to me... like unleashing a lightening bolt !

Respect their operating specs. Don't run them hot or cold. Don't over charge them. Don't exceed the limits, even by a little.

Depending on the size of your bank and what you have hooked up to it, a fuse may or may not be needed. I'd do it out of good practice, but smaller <500f banks with only 0 gauge off it honestly don't carry enough energy to do much if something grounds out. It'll spark and make a racket and you might weld some stuff. But you're not going to incur a giant meltdown like you would if you shorted out a battery.

Oh, and balance the things. Either put resistors on there, LEDs w/ resistors, or a snazzy active setup. The manufacturing tolerances are generally within about 10% but the operating conditions are not.

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

Respect their operating specs. Don't run them hot or cold. Don't over charge them. Don't exceed the limits, even by a little.

Depending on the size of your bank and what you have hooked up to it, a fuse may or may not be needed. I'd do it out of good practice, but smaller <500f banks with only 0 gauge off it honestly don't carry enough energy to do much if something grounds out. It'll spark and make a racket and you might weld some stuff. But you're not going to incur a giant meltdown like you would if you shorted out a battery.

Oh, and balance the things. Either put resistors on there, LEDs w/ resistors, or a snazzy active setup. The manufacturing tolerances are generally within about 10% but the operating conditions are not.

Thank you. I'll probably take some unnecessary precautions, just because id rather err on the safe side. Watching and saving every good video I can find for charging and balancing capacitors too.

I'll probably have the lightest weight stereo setup running a capacitor bank.... Only about 3Kwts (less if you adjust for speaker rise and all that stuff) but i just want to get max performance for the stuff that I have......

Plus, I'd rather have a stronger electrical setup than I need, for future expansion. 

Archived