Second Skin Audio

Box build bracing

Ohmmm

Where can I find adjustable steel bracing like I see in so many big demo build videos?

Still need to cut the center sheet to split the sealed and ported section and move forward from there. BARELY got the box in there so I can't have anything bigger than a flea's ass sticking out of the top of bottom. Any tips would be appreciated! Hell...is bracing even necessary for the ported section? 4, 12s.  2, 3.5ks. 

20200719_084540.jpg

20200719_084459.jpg

If you wanted better output then brace both sections. Less the enclosure flexes, more output. Bother sections will flex hard because each section plays different frequencies. The sealed section plays the low frequencies and the ported section play the higher frequencies. The port tuning is where the enclosure peaks at. The best peak point for a 4th order enclosure is 45hz. Whatever size the ported section is, multiply that cubic feet times anywhere between 16-20sq” to find an adequate port area.  

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

the specific bracing you're asking about is called "All-thread" and it's just threaded steel rod available at any big box home improvement store, you find it, cut it to length and add washers n nuts to it and tighten it down.  like giga said, you want to brace as many surfaces as possible.  i would personally brace top to bottom and front to back, possibly going from inner port wall to opposing wall as well.

Well I'll be! I don't get notifications apparently. Thanks for the info guys. I've only done small-medium sealed boxes before so I wasn't sure how crucial it would be to brace for ported since the air moves so freely. Going with a 200 sqin. port. FI recommended a 40-42hz port tuning but I'm going to leave it long and trim down from there to find the sweet spot. 

Archived