Second Skin Audio

Sub stage decision for truck behind seat setup

Sky

Well, if you run 3 10's at 1.67 ohms on that amp, with the gains set correctly with no clipping, you should have no problem. A 500 watt 10 even at 2 ohm might be a little much for that sub... though Sundown subs are very underrated. 

My personal opinion might differ from others, I'd go 3 image dynamics 10's sealed on that amp at 1.67 ohms

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I was the same way. Then my last setup was 4 12" w6's sealed. The lows played with such authority! Ported enclosures are bad ass, don't get me wrong. My next box will have 2 ports (series tuned 6th order). But if you're tight on space, and you already have the amp you're going to use, if it's between a 500 watt rms sub ported, or 3 300 watt rms subs sealed, my opinion is sealed. Going from that 15 in a huge enclosure to either of those options are going to be lackluster. But I think the 3 10's sealed will get just as loud as the single 10 ported and you'll get more of a flat response and better low bass like 38 hz and below. (Most prefab ported enclosures usually tend to have high tuning) again, my opinion might differ from others. 

Here's a little tidbit of info if you already didn't know. If you look at a subwoofers t/s parameters, the QTS will help you decide if the sub is better suited for a sealed, ported, or infinite baffle setup. Anything below .5 is more suited for ported, above .5 is better for sealed and (don't quote me on this last one, but I think) .7 and above are good for infinite baffle. It has to do with motor force and electrical yadda yadda yadda. Any sub will do whatever it's told, wherever it's told to do it, but some are better at specific applications than others

If I went ported they said they would tune it to whatever I wanted.  But i think youve helped me steer towards the 3 10s option.  3 10s for $300 just makes the most sense budget wise vs 1 10 ported for 200.  I tried looking up the qts for the image dynamics sub but couldnt find anything.

7 hours ago, Sky said:

If I went ported they said they would tune it to whatever I wanted.  But i think youve helped me steer towards the 3 10s option.  3 10s for $300 just makes the most sense budget wise vs 1 10 ported for 200.  I tried looking up the qts for the image dynamics sub but couldnt find anything.

And like I said, that's just my opinion. I hope you don't, I don't think you will, but you could put 3 10's in sealed and hate it... or love it it's all subjective. What sounds good to me might not sound good to you. But you won't know until you try unfortunately. 

Ya for sure, completely agree.  Im waiting on a reply back to see if the sld 10 would even fit the box magnet size wise.  If it could maybe 2 slds would do me better with the higher rms they can take.  But still learning towards the 3 10s.  I wish they made more subs with lower required mounting depth. (not counting shallow mounts)  Ive looked into the sa 8s but those are also to deep.

2ohm dvc

2 subs @ 2ohm       875rms (each)             SLD 10s rms @ 600

3 subs @ 1.34ohm 870rms             image dynamic 10s or SLD 10s

3 subs @ 3ohm       388rms            image dynamic 10s rms 300

4ohm dvc

3 subs @ 2.67ohm 436rms            image dynamics 10s rms @ 300

With that said this is my options for power wise.  I have the power to run 3 of the SLDs and they call for .5 sealed each.  I dont really wanna spend $600 total on the slds, trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible.  While I can get the dynamics for $300 total, would I be looking at a sever gain in output forking out 2 or 3 slds over the 3 smaller dynamic 10s.

Archived