Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Figured I would throw this in the Junk Drawer.  It likely won't interest too many people here, but I'm going to try and put together a build log for the new shop.  Tomorrow I'll shoot some video of the "old" shop.  I've almost got everything there packed up.

 

So yesterday I "washed" the floor using a garden hose and a shop broom to get all the dirt, grime and dust (or at least as much as I reasonably could) off the floor/out of the new shop.  Spent about 4 or 5 hours doing that and the inside of the shop git 99 degrees (and of course humid as hell with all the water).

 

Today I got in the shop around 10ish in the morning and spent the entire day applying a spray on sealer with a little bit of concrete stain to darken it just a bit.  I used a product called V-Seal.  It's pretty easy to work with and has almost no odor at all:

 

Product.thumb.jpg.9a9ee5b7e4090323ed95d19012907fea.jpg

 

Product2.thumb.jpg.f3847a0aa9e426eeb8fac88b710862dd.jpg

 

I went with the 101 and Phase II.  In hind sight I could have easily gotten away with a single 5 gallon jug of each.  That said I ended up doing 2 applications of the 101 and a single application of the Phase II.

 

Here is the before with the (mostly) clean floors and some paper masking the painted drywall:

 

Before.thumb.jpg.278adadc04e1d35fcf305d6e355261fb.jpg

 

And a short video walkthrough before I got to work:

 

 

Here are a couple of shots applying it in sections.  You spray it on and then work it with a paint roller:

 

20210905_115912.thumb.jpg.4d8617fa8c16c97ec6390c1a177bb971.jpg

 

20210905_121206.thumb.jpg.7193278f6abde754daba36d717c6d527.jpg

 

20210905_130107.thumb.jpg.8a4fab82247da2bd96a5ecc8ef75b7ec.jpg

 

Here is applying the Phase II:

 

20210905_170227.thumb.jpg.5961d6b12bdd9f6a00037045bb617155.jpg

 

And finally finished with both applications of the 101 with the stain and the Phase II:

20210905_180853.thumb.jpg.135eb9c3c9bdcfbf9dbebb851aed79bc.jpg

 

And a short video of the after:

 

 

I may go ahead and do the stairs tomorrow, not sure, but I will definitely get a short video of the old shop.

 

Here is a shot of what I have planned for the build-out / layout:

 

Layout.thumb.PNG.dc159e72d0ce9315b88a51347c7c8765.PNG

 

If I added the stairs I would have to shift the spray booth to the right by the width of the stairs as well as move the inventory rack that is next to the Nomad / Assembly Station.  I think I will also move the entry door to the Laser room to in-between the band saw and the drill press and shift the laser to the other end of the room.

 

I'll figure out the stair situation tonight / in the morning LoL.  It would be nice to have random/misc junk storage above the office/bathroom/spray booth, but I might just use a ladder to get up and down.

 

Let me know if the shop build is something that interests anyone and I'll keep taking pictures and videos of the progress and continue the build log!

 

 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Figured I would throw this in the Junk Drawer.  It likely won't interest too many people here, but I'm going to try and put together a build log for the new shop.  Tomorrow I'll shoot some video of the "old" shop.  I've almost got everything there packed up.

 

So yesterday I "washed" the floor using a garden hose and a shop broom to get all the dirt, grime and dust (or at least as much as I reasonably could) off the floor/out of the new shop.  Spent about 4 or 5 hours doing that and the inside of the shop git 99 degrees (and of course humid as hell with all the water).

 

Today I got in the shop around 10ish in the morning and spent the entire day applying a spray on sealer with a little bit of concrete stain to darken it just a bit.  I used a product called V-Seal.  It's pretty easy to work with and has almost no odor at all:

 

Product.thumb.jpg.9a9ee5b7e4090323ed95d19012907fea.jpg

 

Product2.thumb.jpg.f3847a0aa9e426eeb8fac88b710862dd.jpg

 

I went with the 101 and Phase II.  In hind sight I could have easily gotten away with a single 5 gallon jug of each.  That said I ended up doing 2 applications of the 101 and a single application of the Phase II.

 

Here is the before with the (mostly) clean floors and some paper masking the painted drywall:

 

Before.thumb.jpg.278adadc04e1d35fcf305d6e355261fb.jpg

 

And a short video walkthrough before I got to work:

 

 

 

Here are a couple of shots applying it in sections.  You spray it on and then work it with a paint roller:

 

20210905_115912.thumb.jpg.4d8617fa8c16c97ec6390c1a177bb971.jpg

 

20210905_121206.thumb.jpg.7193278f6abde754daba36d717c6d527.jpg

 

20210905_130107.thumb.jpg.8a4fab82247da2bd96a5ecc8ef75b7ec.jpg

 

Here is applying the Phase II:

 

20210905_170227.thumb.jpg.5961d6b12bdd9f6a00037045bb617155.jpg

 

And finally finished with both applications of the 101 with the stain and the Phase II:

20210905_180853.thumb.jpg.135eb9c3c9bdcfbf9dbebb851aed79bc.jpg

 

And a short video of the after:

 

 

 

I may go ahead and do the stairs tomorrow, not sure, but I will definitely get a short video of the old shop.

 

Here is a shot of what I have planned for the build-out / layout:

 

Layout.thumb.PNG.dc159e72d0ce9315b88a51347c7c8765.PNG

 

If I added the stairs I would have to shift the spray booth to the right by the width of the stairs as well as move the inventory rack that is next to the Nomad / Assembly Station.  I think I will also move the entry door to the Laser room to in-between the band saw and the drill press and shift the laser to the other end of the room.

 

I'll figure out the stair situation tonight / in the morning LoL.  It would be nice to have random/misc junk storage above the office/bathroom/spray booth, but I might just use a ladder to get up and down.

 

Let me know if the shop build is something that interests anyone and I'll keep taking pictures and videos of the progress and continue the build log!

 

 

So freaking cool! Happy for you bud! Looks amazing and big! 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm down to see this what's all made in that there huge space u have

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Kicker ofc rca's 

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

10 ga knukoncept speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown sa v2 d4's in parallel 

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

So freaking cool! Happy for you bud! Looks amazing and big! 

 

26 minutes ago, Never Enough Bass said:

I'm down to see this what's all made in that there huge space u have

 

Thanks!  I'll keep the build log coming then.  @Never Enough Bass shortly after the shop is built I plan to post on the stuff I'm making but long story short, I've been working on some products for the past couple of years that make adding custom audio to EVs (and specifically the Tesla Model 3/Y) safe and easy.  As soon as the shop is up and running I have a few more tweaks to make to the products (finalizing housings and stuff like that) and then it will be off to the races.  I'm hoping to up and selling very end of this calendar year / beginning of next calendar year.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh so your gonna make it so we still have custom stuff in electric cars that's what's up that's a must considering where cars are going

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Kicker ofc rca's 

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

10 ga knukoncept speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown sa v2 d4's in parallel 

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Never Enough Bass said:

Oh so your gonna make it so we still have custom stuff in electric cars that's what's up that's a must considering where cars are going

That's the plan!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting a jump on it nice cause I don't know what I would do if we went all electric with no sounds I would probably put a convertor in the car with a house stereo lol

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Kicker ofc rca's 

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

10 ga knukoncept speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown sa v2 d4's in parallel 

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a super quick walk through video of the space I'm moving out of.  It's 1/2 the size of the new space and shows with all the crap I've got packed into it right now 😆:

 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super quick update.  I got to spend a little time in the old shop after my day job today and I was able to get the CNC table up on 4 large casters.  I had to pick up a 3/4" forstner bit as there is no telling which box I packed my bit-set into, but after fighting with the belt and tension on my cheap bench-top drill press I was able to counter sink far enough into the 2x4s for the M8 bolts I had on hand to work.  I'm blown away by how easily/effortlessly the table rolls on just the 4 casters - that thing is pretty heavy.

 

Here's the quick video if anybody is interested:

 

 

I took another load of boxes over to the new space, just whatever would fit in the bed of the truck.  Figure I'll keep doing small loads like that through the week and will eventually only have the big stuff left.

 

I found the power provider and got both meters/panels switched on in my name (the owner had turned on the power for his initial inspection) and filed both certificate of occupancy requests (have to do one for each power meter apparently).  Hopefully that process will move fairly quickly, I'm waiting to get that over with before I start the actual build-out.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No videos today, but I snapped a few pictures.  I loaded up the truck with some more random stuff/boxes:

 

20210908_144202.thumb.jpg.6c3d150bb3335249b88244d5c8a967bb.jpg

 

20210908_144209.thumb.jpg.201ab509998a5c41c9c45eee6393c40f.jpg

 

I also started pulling down and sorting all the crap that's been stored on top of the office.  I managed to get (I think) all the Harley parts in one place and put together a Craig's List add:

 

20210908_153611.thumb.jpg.66dc498882b1a6ed7004679328217650.jpg

 

And I got all the old car audio stuff I've had stored for ever down and am just going to donate it to my buddy that owns the car audio shop here in town:

 

20210908_153724.thumb.jpg.2e1c7534237fb5bd1675afc4989a922c.jpg

 

20210908_153736.thumb.jpg.2bdb2d3844849e5821ab371c3fa67445.jpg

 

I can tell that stuff is old because I haven't done anything with Skar since maybe 2015/16?  Once bitten, twice shy right ^_^

 

Got a few accessories for the shop in today as well:

 

a 6 inch cyclone separator for the wall mount collector I ordered from Rockler that is apparently not getting here until some time in October now.  At least it gives me time to get all the ducting run

20210908_170549.thumb.jpg.6e9f14bf6f16d28f3c00a1349687840d.jpg

 

And a honking big barrel to collect the dust:

20210908_170542.thumb.jpg.0e6c825cca9ace38bf516eb154690680.jpg

 

The city called today and scheduled the inspection for tomorrow at 1:30PM local time so fingers crossed that goes off without a hitch - then I can finally start wiring / insulating / build-out.

 

The best part though - my buddy came through with over a trailer load of insulation.  It's all stuff that the company he works for scrapped so it came at the unbeatable cost of free:

 

20210908_205132.thumb.jpg.4061e6d8a3e3008c6c9b29826e7a9867.jpg

 

20210908_205201.thumb.jpg.5720325eabf2e0db66f41a60ee8f8a68.jpg

 

That's 30 rolls of 4 foot high, 2 inch thick, 75' long marine grade fiberglass insulation, once I'm done, the interior wall is going to be the one loosing the most cooling/heat!

 

I'm building my order with the big box store online for everything to start building the interior walls and rooms now, once the CO is signed off on, I'll hit order and go pick it up with the trailer as soon as they have it picked.

 

Stuff is about to, as they say, get real!

  • Like (+1 Rep) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...