Sonic Electronix

38 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

He did, and it didn't solve the problem. 

99.9% of the time, when you get the alternator wine, it's a grounding issue. The fact that it only comes out of his speakers connected to the 4 channel, leads me to believe it has to do with the ground for that amp. 

Like you said him having it screwed to the floor might be the problem or could the ground terminal be messed up on the amp

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

11 minutes ago, Never Enough Bass said:

Like you said him having it screwed to the floor might be the problem or could the ground terminal be messed up on the amp

Well, he said he unmounted it and still had problems, so I don't think it's that. Though mounting any amplifier to something other than metal is a good idea. 

The terminal can be messed up, anything is possible, but I doubt that's the issue. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Does your rca's run next to the power wire that could cause it to

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

They run next to speaker wire that’s it. And the amp bass wire. It might be a grounding issue somewhere. Because I’m thinking about it and I had the 4 channel hooked up before I added all the 1/0 and new alternator and even the battery. And I don’t remember hearing that noise. I’m gonna have to try testing a new grounding spot for the two cables that go to the battery. I have the cable from the engine block to the frame on the passenger side. And in the back of the vehicle I have the grounds for the battery on the driver side. Both on the frame but different sides. Could that be causing more resistance?

No it doesn't matter what side of the car it's on u could always add another ground to the 1 you already have

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

44 minutes ago, Ceeze90 said:

They run next to speaker wire that’s it. And the amp bass wire. It might be a grounding issue somewhere. Because I’m thinking about it and I had the 4 channel hooked up before I added all the 1/0 and new alternator and even the battery. And I don’t remember hearing that noise. I’m gonna have to try testing a new grounding spot for the two cables that go to the battery. I have the cable from the engine block to the frame on the passenger side. And in the back of the vehicle I have the grounds for the battery on the driver side. Both on the frame but different sides. Could that be causing more resistance?

So, essentially, whatever you ground to whatever you ground it to, that energy has to get back to the alternator. That's its goal. So really, it doesn't matter what side of the frame you ground on, it just needs the shortest, most efficient path back to its end point as possible. This includes cable and metal. If something is in the way on the metal, say a weld, that can make the path less efficient. 

Mechman alternators have a ground terminal on them. Are you using that? (You might have mentioned this earlier. Sorry if you have). 

I'm assuming the power wire for the 4 channel is 4 awg? Are you using a 4 awg wire for grounding as well? How long is the ground wire? 

Are you using OFC cable for all your connections? 

Adding another ground of your battery wouldn't be a bad idea. If you're using the ground on the body, add a ground from the battery to the body. If you leave the 4 channel grounded to the battery, add another ground to the frame. Or if you're feeling really froggy, add a ground from the battery all the way up to the alternator. 

But you did say you where or if cable. And that shit isn't cheap. I think if you add a ground ferrin your battery onto the body, then find a good grounding spot on the body closer to your 4 channel, I think you'd be good. 

Even with my ground change I got .1 ohm resistance still getting the thump noise

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

On 9/19/2021 at 10:04 PM, Dafaseles said:

So, essentially, whatever you ground to whatever you ground it to, that energy has to get back to the alternator. That's its goal. So really, it doesn't matter what side of the frame you ground on, it just needs the shortest, most efficient path back to its end point as possible. This includes cable and metal. If something is in the way on the metal, say a weld, that can make the path less efficient. 

Mechman alternators have a ground terminal on them. Are you using that? (You might have mentioned this earlier. Sorry if you have). 

I'm assuming the power wire for the 4 channel is 4 awg? Are you using a 4 awg wire for grounding as well? How long is the ground wire? 

Are you using OFC cable for all your connections? 

Adding another ground of your battery wouldn't be a bad idea. If you're using the ground on the body, add a ground from the battery to the body. If you leave the 4 channel grounded to the battery, add another ground to the frame. Or if you're feeling really froggy, add a ground from the battery all the way up to the alternator. 

But you did say you where or if cable. And that shit isn't cheap. I think if you add a ground ferrin your battery onto the body, then find a good grounding spot on the body closer to your 4 channel, I think you'd be good. 

I didn’t see a grounding post on my alternator. I may have overlooked it but I did look for one. There was only the charging post labeled. I assumed it must be grounding from the frame at the holes for the mounting bolts. I’ll try adding a ground from battery to the body. The four channel is  grounded back to the body it seemed the noise was less noticeable there. 

10 minutes ago, Ceeze90 said:

I didn’t see a grounding post on my alternator. I may have overlooked it but I did look for one. There was only the charging post labeled. I assumed it must be grounding from the frame at the holes for the mounting bolts. I’ll try adding a ground from battery to the body. The four channel is  grounded back to the body it seemed the noise was less noticeable there. 

If you can, try and get that battery ground as close to the amp ground as possible, but don't share the same ground location. 

My bad, I just assumed yours had a grounding post because mine does lol. Yeah, yours is grounded at the bolts

13 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

If you can, try and get that battery ground as close to the amp ground as possible, but don't share the same ground location. 

My bad, I just assumed yours had a grounding post because mine does lol. Yeah, yours is grounded at the bolts

I’ll have to try that. I was looking on the mechman site and it states it’s imperative to run cables directly to battery. Positive and negative. You think I would have to run two runs of 1/0 from the battery all the way back to the alternator mounting bolts for the grounds?

Archived