Second Skin Audio

Stinky subwoofer

StuntBoy

What’s up y’all,newbie question here. So I’ve installed couple sounds system in my vehicles and never had an issue. 

This past week I decided to install one in my semi. I went with one 12” Skar zvx 12v2 on a taramps hd 3000. I’m running 0 gauge with a 100amp fuse to a distribution block with a 100 amp fuse out putting 4 gauge to the amp.  

The subwoofer is 2ohm wired to 1 ohm, which is rated 1500 rms. Taramps hd 3000 is rated 3000 rms at 1ohm.  I’ve played two songs and the sub smells smelly. I touched the sub and it’s a smidget warm. 

I'm assuming it’s to many rms outage from the amp to the sub? 

Box is tuned to 32hz

30” L 14”H 15”D

1 hour ago, StuntBoy said:

What’s up y’all,newbie question here. So I’ve installed couple sounds system in my vehicles and never had an issue. 

This past week I decided to install one in my semi. I went with one 12” Skar zvx 12v2 on a taramps hd 3000. I’m running 0 gauge with a 100amp fuse to a distribution block with a 100 amp fuse out putting 4 gauge to the amp.  

The subwoofer is 2ohm wired to 1 ohm, which is rated 1500 rms. Taramps hd 3000 is rated 3000 rms at 1ohm.  I’ve played two songs and the sub smells smelly. I touched the sub and it’s a smidget warm. 

Box is tuned to 32hz

30” L 14”H 15”D

Either it's too much power, or the signal is clipping somewhere along the line. My vote is for too much for that sub to handle

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Your signal is a wave. It basically tells the speaker what to do. You want your wave in a nice curve at the top and the bottom. Clipping means your cutting off the top of the wave, and instead of a nice curve, it's flat at both peaks. The subwoofer will go up, stop, go down, stop, and so on. The voice coil needs the constant movement to keep cool. When it stops, it builds up heat that it can't overcome and will eventually fail. Here's a picture that might help explain. SmartSelect_20210301-133425_Instagram.thumb.jpg.4af92a2c9672c5a6e2ec60d91e1d751d.jpg

There are a couple of things that can cause clipping. Your volume is ripened up to high on your head unit and your head unit is sending the clipped signal. If you use your phone through blue tooth or an aux cord, that volume might be too high. Your gain on your amplifier might be set too high, or the gain in any other component like a DSP or EQ. Or, if your electrical can't keep up with the demand of the amplifier, that can cause clipping as well. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Gotcha,I’ve tuned the amp properly or at least to my best knowledge for the sub.

The sub is 3000 watt peak and 1500 rms. The amp is 3000 rms. Sure it’s to much rms for the sub.  

Like I said I’m running 0 gauge with a 100amp fuse to the block with a 100 amp fuse out to 4 gauge. So definitely not pushing more power to the amp that is needed.  The taramps amp has a clip module and when I was running the amp is should that it would clip so I had to adjust the setting 

14 hours ago, StuntBoy said:

Box is tuned to 32hz

30” L 14”H 15”D

With Taramps you need to make very sure your electrical is in fact exceptionally solid, your voltage need to stay 12.5-15V at all times for worry free operation, maybe you should describe your electrical here and have a voltage monitor available.

Once you have that you setup your gains AND your high pass filter to say 28Hz.

If all of the above checks out, you are just pushing too much watts because it's not loud enough case in which you need to make sure your box design is efficient and if indeed a single 12" is enough for your goals and vehicle size.

Gotcha,I’ll have to check voltage. I was told that for taramps the power cable needs to be short from the battery. In my case it starts at the distribution block, I would say no more then 2ft of power cable from block. 

From the start of the battery Im running 0 gauge with a fuse block of 100 amp. Them from distribution block the 4 guage starts with a 100 fuse.

I’ve played with the amp setting it up,and I’ve went to much and the clip light came up. I lowered gains and clip light doesn’t come up. 

I’m also using 8 guage speaker wire on the sub. Like I said sub is rated 3000 watts & 1500 rms amp is rated 3000 rms. Which I’m sure it’s common sense LOL 

Also my semi has 3 batteries so voltage should be there. 

Archived