Second Skin Audio

1k to 1500k 12” sub recommendations

West1

Currently have a 21 Tahoe and today I blew my 1.5 yr old FI X12 sub. Stock alt and wiring (no big 3) and running an FSD2600 amp. Custom box for this sub. It was nice to install the sub in 2020 right out of the dealer, did great but definitely lacked power.

I was considering the SSD12 but it looks like they are not selling them anymore.

any other recommendations other than sundown, skar, JL, kicker, punch or Orion?

I play a lot of old school rap, E-40, snoop, Dre, Obie Trice, Juvi along with Spanish music. Looking for deep, low bass under 350.00

i need to look at specs but I believe box is 2.5 cubes @34hz.

tyvm!

The real question here is why did your sub only last you a year and a half? 

Also, FI has the Xv3 which is 1000 watt RMS and the SSD v4 which is 1500 watts RMS.

But, if you don't know why your subwoofer only lasted you a short period of time, it'll just happen again. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

15 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

The real question here is why did your sub only last you a year and a half? 

I set gains by ear. About 2 months ago I felt the sub was asking for more gains and I raised it a tad. It blew on a song I play often by E-40, G.O.A.T.

It sounds like if I glue the torn areas, it plays like normal. I just don’t want to Mickey Mouse it.

6 hours ago, Joe X said:

The SSA Icon 12 comes to mind for a drop in replacement, will take 1.5K and it's below $350, 23mm Xmax.

Never paid any mind to SSA, I’ll have to check it out.

11 minutes ago, West1 said:

I set gains by ear. About 2 months ago I felt the sub was asking for more gains and I raised it a tad. It blew on a song I play often by E-40, G.O.A.T.

It sounds like if I glue the torn areas, it plays like normal. I just don’t want to Mickey Mouse it.

Never paid any mind to SSA, I’ll have to check it out.

Well, when you buy a new sub, set the gains correctly, and leave them alone. The gain isn't a volume knob. A DD-1 is, in my opinion, the best tool for the job, but it's expensive. You can buy a fairly inexpensive oscilloscope, and there are videos on YouTube that show you how to use one correctly. Or, if that's not an option either, using a DMM is at least better than doing it by ear. 

SSA is legit. Back when SSA was just getting started, FI actually used to build their subs. They don't anymore, but you can see the build quality is still there. 

And if I'm listening to Earl, Takin 'Em Back is a slapper too! 

29 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Well, when you buy a new sub, set the gains correctly, and leave them alone. The gain isn't a volume knob. A DD-1 is, in my opinion, the best tool for the job, but it's expensive. You can buy a fairly inexpensive oscilloscope, and there are videos on YouTube that show you how to use one correctly. Or, if that's not an option either, using a DMM is at least better than doing it by ear. 

SSA is legit. Back when SSA was just getting started, FI actually used to build their subs. They don't anymore, but you can see the build quality is still there. 

And if I'm listening to Earl, Takin 'Em Back is a slapper too! 

Im kicking myself in the ass because a buddy picked up a DD1 a months ago, I never went to set gains properly. Live n learn :)

SSA is on the table. I’m open to a few more subs before I roll the dice.

out here in Idaho, not many Bass guys to hear what they own.

found my box specs, it’s 2.25 cubes @34hz

Well, as long as you know what you did wrong, you won't do it again! 

Some other options of well built, quality subs

https://alphardaudio.us/products/eta-feb-27th-apocalypse-db-sa252-d1-d2

They are on sale right now. Though I would up it to

https://alphardaudio.us/products/eta-feb-27th-apocalypse-db-sa302-d1-d2

on that amp. It also likes a bigger box, and the higher tuning. A little more expensive, but, in my opinion, worth it. 

A little more unsolicited advice, with that amp, I would look into at least doing the big 3 upgrade with 1/0 OFC, and running 2 high AH AGM batteries. If you can swing it, an upgraded alternator would help as well. You wouldn't need a huge 400 amp alt, but a little is better than nothing. That amp will do legit 2600 watts, and it needs to eat. If your voltage is dropping into dangerous levels while slapping, that can cause distortion/ clipping, which will also kill your sub. 

In the future, do you ever plan on upgrading from 1 sub? More power? If not, that's cool. No problem with that. But if you think in the future you might, the best advice I can give is start now with this system. What I mean is, get a new sub to slap and set your gains right. Save up a little, do the big 3. Save up a little more, get another battery or even up to a lithium bank. Save up a little more, big alternator. A little bit more.....4 15's on 10k watts lol. That's an over exaggeration, but you get my point. If you plan on upgrading, set this system up with that in mind, so you're not replacing everything. Just adding to it. 

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Well, as long as you know what you did wrong, you won't do it again! 

Some other options of well built, quality subs

https://alphardaudio.us/products/eta-feb-27th-apocalypse-db-sa252-d1-d2

They are on sale right now. Though I would up it to

https://alphardaudio.us/products/eta-feb-27th-apocalypse-db-sa302-d1-d2

on that amp. It also likes a bigger box, and the higher tuning. A little more expensive, but, in my opinion, worth it. 

A little more unsolicited advice, with that amp, I would look into at least doing the big 3 upgrade with 1/0 OFC, and running 2 high AH AGM batteries. If you can swing it, an upgraded alternator would help as well. You wouldn't need a huge 400 amp alt, but a little is better than nothing. That amp will do legit 2600 watts, and it needs to eat. If your voltage is dropping into dangerous levels while slapping, that can cause distortion/ clipping, which will also kill your sub. 

In the future, do you ever plan on upgrading from 1 sub? More power? If not, that's cool. No problem with that. But if you think in the future you might, the best advice I can give is start now with this system. What I mean is, get a new sub to slap and set your gains right. Save up a little, do the big 3. Save up a little more, get another battery or even up to a lithium bank. Save up a little more, big alternator. A little bit more.....4 15's on 10k watts lol. That's an over exaggeration, but you get my point. If you plan on upgrading, set this system up with that in mind, so you're not replacing everything. Just adding to it. 

Im trying to stay away from upgrading Alt and batteries. Trying to get away w/stock.

might do big3.

as I’m looking at my FI, it looks like it was the dust cap that ripped. I’m guessing glue would be a temp fix. Any recommendations on glue?

Archived