Sonic Electronix

Need some help regarding sound quality

I am currently running 2 12s in a 2012 Honda Accord sedan. Good quality lows, pretty damn loud. However, I am running into the inevitable problem we all experience. It's not enough.

If I fill the entire trunk with a box, have 2 Skar Audio 1500w VFX 15s facing the trunk (sealed off from the cabin) and have 2 massive ass PVC circle ports sticking into the cabin from the box in the trunk, would that be ok in terms of sound quality? I want the ports to enter the cabin through the tan thing in the pic I attached (it comes off)

2012 Honda Accord, Red/Red - STOCK# B2904 - Trunk - YouTube

Do you know what those 2 aero ports will bring your tuning to? And will it be enough square inches so as not to cause port noise? 

If your upgrading your box and subs, are you also upgrading your amp? If so, can your electrical handle the extra power? 

Me personally, if I where to do what you're doing, I would ditch the backseat, face the 15's and port in, and completely seal the front of the box off from the trunk. But if you can't do that, it might be best to fire the port towards the trunk or the side of the car for loading purposes. That might ultimately have to be something you would have to experiment with, and what sounds best to you 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

37 minutes ago, Sundown_Audio said:

I am currently running 2 12s in a 2012 Honda Accord sedan. Good quality lows, pretty damn loud. However, I am running into the inevitable problem we all experience. It's not enough.

If I fill the entire trunk with a box, have 2 Skar Audio 1500w VFX 15s facing the trunk (sealed off from the cabin) and have 2 massive ass PVC circle ports sticking into the cabin from the box in the trunk, would that be ok in terms of sound quality? I want the ports to enter the cabin through the tan thing in the pic I attached (it comes off)

2012 Honda Accord, Red/Red - STOCK# B2904 - Trunk - YouTube

If you are sealing off the trunk and all your output will go through the ports you need to do a bandpass design, if you use a ported design you will only listen to the port output which is a very narrow bandwidth.

Also I don't see the 7-8 cubic feet net in that trunk you need for a ported design, case in which you need to do high end 12s like DC Audio level 5s and an amp to match, BTW you don't say which subs or amp you are running now, pretty important information.

2 minutes ago, Joe X said:

If you are sealing off the trunk and all your output will go through the ports you need to do a bandpass design, if you use a ported design you will only listen to the port output which is a very narrow bandwidth.

Also I don't see the 7-8 cubic feet net in that trunk you need for a ported design, case in which you need to do high end 12s like DC Audio level 5s and an amp to match, BTW you don't say which subs or amp you are running now, pretty important information.

I didn't think about the bandpass way. A nice 4th order.... if he has the room. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

In addition to what Dafaseles asked it would be good to know what 12's and amp you're currently running as well. If they're a lower budget sub you may be further ahead doing a higher quality pair of 12's or a single 15. Also what do you consider sound quality to be? Are we talking about perfectly balanced full spectrum sound or are you strictly talking about what it will sound like having ports blow through the passthrough in the seats? What are your music preferences.

Archived