Sonic Electronix

Info on a type of enclosure

First time poster and couldn't find a section on enclosures, so apologies if I put this in the wrong place

Back in the 1990's (i think mid) There were a couple of vehicles with an unusual enclosure. It appeared to be sealed as I didn't see any porting. One car (a 65/66 Impala), the other was a van built by a magazine (Auto Sound & Security). The way this was set up, was there were two subs on a rectangular wood tube. In the Impala it was basically just enough size to hold a 12 or 15 on each side They were housed one inside the other Like this ((, where the magnet of one woofer was inside the others cone. The Impala had three or 4 of these grouped setups firing into the deck, The Magazine van had like 6 or 8 groups very tightly packed. Also of note the Van used a longer rectangular tube (about 3.5-4 feet it looked like).

I always thought it was a cool enclosure type and figured it was some sort of Loaded or tuned type of enclosure. Anyone ever see these? And what type of enclosure was it? I assume since those were the only two I've ever seen, it wasn't all that and quickly dropped. But what was the enclosure type?

3 minutes ago, CorNut said:

It's really no different than a standard enclosure except you'll need to reverse the polarity on the inverted ones if they share a chamber. I'm not sure what that style is called, I've never seen one in person

The way it was setup the rectangular port was the only thing firing into the interior so this makes sense. my assumption was it was some sort of sealed type with a possible tuning due to the port length

59 minutes ago, Crazyjr said:

The way it was setup the rectangular port was the only thing firing into the interior so this makes sense. my assumption was it was some sort of sealed type with a possible tuning due to the port length

Should find some pics to post, just to make sure we are giving you the right feedback.

4 minutes ago, Joe X said:

Should find some pics to post, just to make sure we are giving you the right feedback.

Agreed. Re-reading the description the enclosures could have been manifolds for an infinite baffle. Either way...look up pics of the various ways to do an isobaric enclosure and infinite baffle systems and you'll likely find what you're looking for.

1 hour ago, BumpedCX5 said:

Sounds like an isobaric enclosure. Popular for a while but with the advancement in subwoofer technology (like the original Kicker Solobaric and JL W6) that allowed them to be used in ultra small enclosures they lost their appeal.

It wasn't an isobaric, the rectangle had a sub on either side this port would sit in the box (the end inside the box was sealed), but like I said I saw no porting other than the rectangle tube was attached. this is why I thought it was sealed, possibly some sort of free air type or possibly a form of compressed tuning with the woofers firing into each other. I just searched for the pics i remember, but honestly i can't find them, They were 1990's (possibly early to mid) and I highly doubt I'll ever find them

I'll try and do something in paint or something to get the idea across, but I'm no artist, Just a warning

On 2/22/2022 at 10:03 PM, BumpedCX5 said:

It may have been a manifold for an infinite baffle (free air) setup. Hard to tell without pics but if you muster something up in paint post it and we can figure it out.

I'm beginning to think it was some sort of infinite baffle as well, a lot of systems in show cars might have been more about the look than performance. I did some very basic drawings, that I'll attempt to post here. Like i said the Impala one ( the one with the hexagonal boxes) had three or 3 pods with two subs each I believe 12's, but might've been 15's. The van one had all of these box like things attached to a solid wall and the port side fired into the listening area. I don't remember the rest of the build, might've been a free air (infinite baffle) design. I posted the pic below, sorry not an artist and the long box is supposed to be straight, sorry

box design.png

Archived