Sonic Electronix

Zvx on sundown 3500.1 clipping help

I just installed my system over the weekend and I don’t know what to do next my amp is clipping before I can turn it up as soon as I’m at half volume the clip light comes on I have re did my ground that didn’t help Also my lights don’t dim or anything while playing I have the gain on the amp way down
I have a ZVX 15” on a sundown Sia 3500.1 wired at 2 ohm all 0 guage big 3 And 2 110amp batteries 

if anyone has any ideas of things that might be wrong or I should do differently or try please let me know I’m not sure what to do next.

I have a cheap pioneer FH-S52B it’s all wallmart had over the weekend and I was anxious to get it playing

I haven’t played with any setting on the head unit I had a friend who has allot more knowledge than me set the gain on the amp I didn’t have a multimeter my friend said to play it like this untill I get an alternator but I don’t think it’s my alt this sub hit harder on a 1000w pioneer amp than it does right now and I have no dimming I feel like it’s just clipping way too soon.  really appreciate all the replies thank you guys!

C490A90C-24C3-4982-85F2-9EA03004CB98.png

Set all the settings on the deck to 0, bass boost and all that. Unless it has a subwoofer level control, set that above 0 (if it has it). I don't know how high it'll go on that deck, so I can't tell you a specific value. 

Turn up the deck ¾of max. That's usually a good, non clipping volume of you don't have access to an oscilloscope or DD-1. Then, playing a 40 hz tone, however you listen to music off  your phone, an MP3 player, off YouTube, whatever). Then turn up the gain until the clip light goes on. If it blinks a little, that's no big deal. You don't want it to stay on. 

You don't have any DSP or EQ between the deck and amp, do you? 

Better yet, if you can spare the money, a DD-1 is golden. It's expensive though. At the very least, a cheapish oscilloscope off Amazon would be a good investment. You'll actually get to see what the wave is doing. 

The problem could also be coming from whatever external source you're playing your music from. If your phone is turned up too much, the problem could be coming from that a well. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I will try doing that again when I get home but that’s what my friend did for me lastnight and I just can’t get it to hit any harder without the clip light blinking do you think my SIA3500.1 could be messed up I’m super worried about it because I don’t have the money to buy another rn

Without an oscilloscope or DD-1, it's really hard to tell where the problem is coming from. Could be a cheap head unit. Could be your electrical in your car can't keep up. Could be a bad signal coming from an external music source. It could be the amp. I know those full bridge amps don't like too much fluctuation in voltage. 

Do you listen to music primarily through your phone or some other MP3?

It wouldn't hurt. Check the voltage at the amplifier when the clip light goes off. 

When I set the gains for a friend that primarily uses youtube for their music, I use this

It seems to do the job well. 

Also, if you're clip light is blinking every now and again, like I said, it's not a big deal. You don't want it to stay solid. 

Also, I've found that with an I phone, you can't turn it all the way up or you'll get a dirty signal. One click (bar) down from max seems to be the sweet spot for the I phone. I haven't tried with an android yet unfortunately. 

Since its an SIA amp, you most likely (or your "friend that knows more") have the crossover settings on the amp all wrong for sub use, it's a common issue with people that know it all but never messed with a full bridge full range amp before. It's so bad of an issue of this self proclaimed professional installers that been doing this forever send perfectly working amps back as bad amps for warranty.

Watch this video which explains what the crossovers do and how to set them, since its a full range amp the crossovers basically work oppisite/backkwards of what they do on a typical sub amp that just outputs a low pass only signal.

Archived