Second Skin Audio

Is it possible to build a box that will sound good ported and sealed?

Hmm. I'm not sure I can picture that design can you do a quick SketchUp to show me how you are picturing the enclosure?

If I need more volume I hoping to go deeper instead of taller I absolutely hate losing visibility and the dimensions I took were with the seats all the way back and somewhat reclined once I put the new frames under them they will be raised a bit with more clearance. I also can do double wall thickness to the outside without going bigger because I did the measurements with all curves in the body in mind leaving extra wiggle room for clearance and for making wooden floor base and side panels. As long as double wall reinforcements will still be effective without going all the way to the top and bottom in certain areas. Like the rear wall of the cab has a big hump at the top, I can run double maybe even triple wall thickness up to that hump for example.

The truck has no interior panels they were all stripped with the previous setup where the truck had a half wall I believe the installer called it. 

As far as port displacement I am still hoping to run a big ass  square or rectangle port external.

With all that being said I don't want to be unrealistic if I am just grasping at straws while trying to stuff 10 lbs of crap into a 5lb bag here let me know. If I must wall I will but really don't want to. Already have the subs though can't really back out just because I'm resisting a wall. The show must go on.

So it's a wall if you can only be 20" deep, if you can be 35 deep then maybe is not a wall but the 4 15s boxes that are not a wall are the ones in SUVs usually, not in ext cabs, I wouldn't draw up a wall if you don't want one, better make up you mind on what are your max dimensions that you can do with the constraints you have and will see if it can be not a wall or can't, not a fan of walls myself.

Sure I'll get the interior back together so I can mock up seat positions and get all my max measurements done. I got the dash back in and started getting some of the wiring done so I can get the console in and where it needs to be. Hope to finish that up tomorrow so I can get these seats back in and some temporary spacers made to get them raised up to where they will sit when I get the frames built.

Really the reason I asked for a quick sketch is I'm wondering how you are picturing the enclosure subs and port firing guess even for that we will need to know if it's going to need a wall or not.

If walled I'm assuming both port and subs would need to fire forward? 

I do have a question for you though. When building a regular old ported enclosure is there any downside to making a slot port extra wide or big as opposed to having a longer port? 

The area and the aspect ratio of a port control the efficiency of the port while the length control tuning, the dimensions of a port are not determined at will, there is a bunch of math behind it's dimensions, the only thing you can choose is where to fire, you know, up, back, side, and it's position,center, left right, etc.

As for a wall yes they are all only subs and port forward, you get to choose where to place the subs and port but not the direction.

To give you some useful information, to have a box that is 12 cubes net with the 200 square inches of port area and the 32Hz tuning your box dimensions need to be about:

26h x 63w x 25d

So really not a world different, just merely 5 inches deeper, you could probably fire everything up if that's the kind of box you are looking to build,

Thanks.

I got the truck back together and wired up but didn't get a chance to take measurements pretty bad storm and high winds here I had to get it out from under the tree that kills all my cars so it's at a buddies house for a day or two. 

It looks like my efforts didn't buy me much extra space though.

As far as the enclosure i wanted the port to fire forward above the center console and the subs firing upwards but inverted. 

Now I just don't know what the enclosure is going to looks like probably just basic sealed box.  Until I can figure something else out. 

On 4/5/2023 at 8:48 AM, Joe X said:

Might want to post some pics and provide the exact vehicle model you are working with but for now stay safe of course.

Sure. It's a 1994 Silverado Dually with extended cab. I'll grab pics in the morning since the sun is already down here. Thanks for all the help Joe.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:59 PM, BassMunky said:

Maybe air leaks

😂

Archived