Second Skin Audio

Help need port tunin advice

Ok guys I acquired a box it measures 46 wide by 24 tall and 24 deep now here’s the kicker it has a slot port of 44.5 by 6” by 6.75 deep and also comes with a port insert that closes port down to 10 wide 6 hi 6.75 deep I just stuffed the box with 2 15” solobaric L7’s I spoke to kicker they recommend making a cover and add 4 - 6” inch round ports at  13.75 inches long each now I’m no good with this box tuning so I’m asking you guys with port should I go with and it’s for a 06 tahoe build 3000 watt amp to power then. Thanks guys for all your help and advice. 

The first box is 11.6 cubes tuned to 55 Hz 267 square inches of port area (insane).

The adapter tunes low but has deficient port area of 60 square inches so it is a no go.

The kicker suggestion is 11.7 cubes tuned to 38Hz 113 square inches of port area.

To keep things simple I would do the kicker suggestion (4 6" ports) but longer length, 16" would get you to 36Hz tuning that is more reasonable, these ports are sold in 17" length so 1 inch external 16" internal would get you to 35Hz which is pretty decent.

Other modifications would be more difficult to perform.

Always ask around before buying a box, that builder obviously didn't know what he was doing.

I got the box for free thankfully and with price of wood I figured give it spin would you recommend using longer  tubes or different size I have the room and I like all music the low lows and hip hop rap reggea including dancehall I have the room externally could I go longer for say a 30 hz tune or will the perform best tuned in this area thank you so much for your help this photo box without insert 

234A759D-7021-41A4-A860-28E7BBCAECF2.jpeg

Edited by 91booster
Spelling correction

That's what I did with my last enclosure I bought the thin walled pvc and appropriate sized end cap plug the rubber kind with the bolt to tighten. I then extended the hardware with a long carriage bolt used the plug with extended bolt to mount the PVC to a drill then I spun the PVC while heating the end and got perfect flares. I also used PVC piece that had the bell end that slide overtop of another piece to make a joint. So I could then flare both ends separately and still fit the PVC into the enclosure cutouts once flared, before pairing them up. Then it's up to you if you want to glue the PVC together to make it permanent or just use some tape to make it adjustable and tunable. 

18 hours ago, 91booster said:

And also where can I buy such ports can I use 6”pvc pipe pieces 

I guess I will recommend the following mod being the simplest solution I could come up, also the cheapest, is as long as it can be and will tune you like 32.5Hz:

NOTE: It is meant to be permanent fix, if suitable after testing it should be glued and screwed.

NOTE: the brace and the board above should be removed.

INSERT1.png

INSERT-2.png

INSERT-3.png

Edited by Joe X

If you want to go with 4  6" round ports just make them as long as possible as long as there is 6" clearance on either side for each port, PVC pipe is widely available, you can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

If you want to go with branded round ports, you can get them at parts express:

https://www.parts-express.com/Precision-Port-6-Flared-Port-Tube-Kit-268-354?quantity=1

They need to be installed above the current port because the flares will not fit.

Round ports are a great solution is just that you have to pay for them and the branded ones are very expensive.

Yes I got 4 6” abs plastic pipe in 24” lengths .

I was going to leave them around 18” with at least a foot inside box  I’ll  shorten if need be but I’m guessing 18” will get low 30hz range and I don’t wanna make my box to small filling with port again this isn’t my field any input is helpful . 

Those two subs will work perfect in 10 cubic feet, even with the ports fully inside you are well above that so don't worry about that, as before keep clearance of 6" to either end of the ports and also you may need a brace because they are rather long and they don't come with screws unlike the PSP ones.