I ran into this strange problem yesterday. I create my own test tones with Audacity after finding out some of the test tones we commonly use are not really 0 dB or -5. Anyways that’s another topic.

I noticed a weird problem while tuning this specific Pioneer head unit. I was able to max out the volume with no distortion when using a 0 dB .WAV file but if I switched to a 0 dB .mp3 there is distortion at max volume. I had to knock it down a few clicks to 37. So strange. I use a USB stick to set gains. My .mp3 tones are created with a bitrate of 320kpbs and a sample rate of 44100 hz. I’ve used these tones multiple times. 

Since this person I am setting the amp for usually uses Bluetooth and a usb stick full of .mp3 songs I decided to tune the amp using the .mp3 tone at a lower level without distortion which was volume 37. Has anyone ever seen this when using their DD1+? Could it just be a shitty Pioneer that .wav files are good up to max volume but not .mp3? I even tried some of the D’amore tones that are .wav files and saw the same problem. .wav tones are good up to volume 40, .mp3 only good up to 37??

mp3 files utilize compression to make the file smaller, whereas .wav is essentially a raw audio file with no compression, similar to flac audio files.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo