Second Skin Audio

The box builders toolbox

SQ S10

I am interested in learning to build subwoofer enclosures, the thing is I wanna buy the stuff I need one time, I dont want to buy "basic" stuff and upgrade later I wanna get what I need now and learn with it. Could anyone suggest what tools and if any what type PC programs they use to design their enclosures. Thanks alot.

P.S, if this was posted in the wrong section I am sorry this is my first post.

Bass Box Pro is the best program out right now for enclosures...

You got to know your shit before you get it though. It doesn't just make plans for you that easy. You got to know what "numbers" to put in the required sections.

Seeing it's your first post I highly recommend that you do alot of researching. That will end up being the best way of learning how to make boxes.

Read, read, read... :^

Ok here's a list of must haves for me.

Table saw with a large rip fence. I would prefer to have it in a good size work table.

A good router, not the cheap 50 dollar ones but one that will accept 1/2 bits. You'll thank me later.

Good screw gun with plenty of bits and a counter sink.  I like to glue, screw, and nail my boxes together. Doing all this I haven't lost a box yet.

T square. I use an old school drafting one.

Speed square.

Bar clamps. U can never have too many.

Pocket hole jig. Sometimes U just need the right hole.

PC programs, I use BBP, it doesn't always give me the right tunning and port size but it will give you a great cut sheet for your project.

I can go on but I think you get the idea.

Find someone that works at a cabinet shop. They will teach you some trick shit

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

X2 on the Routers King

Routers are a must have. If you never used one, go buy a Router Book, I know Sears sells one. You can make Perfect circles, round corners, recess woofers, and make a shit load of templates for future use. I Can, and prefer to some times to use a Router ONLY when building boxes, because I can trust the cuts better than the table saw I have now. I will use a jig saw/circ saw to just make the basics cuts, and do finishing cuts with the router flush cut bit.... I would love a 1/2" more expensive router, but cant afford it. I stick to 1/4" router bits because they dont kick up as much dust, and are faster cutting than 1/2" bits. And also when useing a router to open a port , a 1/4" bit keeps the radius's on the corners tighter

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I'm with Kingsuv on everything.  A router and jigs are definitely a must if you want a professional-looking finish.  I have a Porter Cable that can pretty much do everything for me.  They are really not too expensive, I think I paid less than $250 for the nicest PC kit I could find at the tool shop.

Also, BBPro is a great program, and like Ernesto said, you have to play around with the numbers alot and make sure to figure out all your displacements correctly.  Basically just trial and error.  Once you figure it all out it will give you a fairly accurate tuning and port length for your enclosure, along with some graph sets which estimate the response so you can get an idea of how your box will sound.

BBP6 is definitley a fun program. You can also make imagineary speakers, I can get stuck on that feature for a few hrs....

Dont forget, if you got money, router tables..... 1 for shapeing, 1 for rounding, then what everyone already suggested- a Main Router- Plunge at that, circle guide/jasper jig- 45 degree, and multi degree clamps- I didnt see anyone mention this, but A good Brand name 16gauge nail gun. When building boxes, unless you always have a  friend helping you, a nailer will help fine. You can tack the wood together with a nailer, then come screw the wood later- Also Its the glue that holds the wood together- say about 60-75% of the box being held together is good glue, the rest is the screws/nails -Simple to learn, build a box with glue, and then with out, the screws/nails will rip apart so easily- Glued, the box will also come apart, but take alot of wood with it, since the glue is stronger. So- Glue, Tight Bond, Gorrila (yet takes forever to dry) Probond, dont use the cheap elmers glue

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I prefer the Probond over the Gorrila glue. I'm not impressed with the Gorrila glue.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Oh yea, back when I worked at a sound shop all we used was a brad nailer to hold the boxes together.  The glue did the rest of the work and every box was solid as a rock.  I don't know if I would have done it this way all the time but the customers were always pleased with the completed job and I never got a complaint.  Although we weren't building huge SPL boxes or huge daily systems, the nailer did get the job done.

Archived