Sundown Audio

Phase Settings On An Amp.

99vic

Will changeing the phase setting on your amp take out any bass or will it just switch the polarity of the load.

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

it will take out the bass....it will make your subs sound like you hooked the speaker wires up backwards ..i would not touch it...

Phase will not take out bass at all..

Weather its a dial knob with adjustable phase from 0 to 180 degrees, or just a switch that you can either select 0 or 180 degrees it does the same thing.

It changes the polarity of the sub(s) being ran off that amp.

If you have 2 subs, and 1 amp per sub, and flip the phase on one amp and not the other, one sub will move outward when the bass hits, while the other will move inward. The subs firing 2 different directions will cause cancellation. Cancellation will make it sound like there is no bass.

If you have 1 or 2 subs running off one amp, and flip the phase, the subs will both move in the opposite direction at the same time, while having no cancellation.

If your amps are strapable (bridging 2 amps together) you will need to have your master amp set at 0 degrees phase, while your slave amp set at 180 degrees phase. You do this because when strapping any amp you use the positive speaker connections on each amp for your speakers positive and negative, and then connect the speaker outputs negatives on the amp together.

Amps that have the adjustable phase knob are a tad bit better for strapping amps because you can tune it for the most output of the amps.

Phase is also best used when your running your subs inverted (having the magnets showing, and the speaker cone inside the box), this way you do not have to connect the speakerwire backwords on the amp or sub, you just simply flip a switch.

Phase will not take out bass at all..

Weather its a dial knob with adjustable phase from 0 to 180 degrees, or just a switch that you can either select 0 or 180 degrees it does the same thing.

It changes the polarity of the sub(s) being ran off that amp.

If you have 2 subs, and 1 amp per sub, and flip the phase on one amp and not the other, one sub will move outward when the bass hits, while the other will move inward. The subs firing 2 different directions will cause cancellation. Cancellation will make it sound like there is no bass.

If you have 1 or 2 subs running off one amp, and flip the phase, the subs will both move in the opposite direction at the same time, while having no cancellation.

If your amps are strapable (bridging 2 amps together) you will need to have your master amp set at 0 degrees phase, while your slave amp set at 180 degrees phase. You do this because when strapping any amp you use the positive speaker connections on each amp for your speakers positive and negative, and then connect the speaker outputs negatives on the amp together.

Amps that have the adjustable phase knob are a tad bit better for strapping amps because you can tune it for the most output of the amps.

Phase is also best used when your running your subs inverted (having the magnets showing, and the speaker cone inside the box), this way you do not have to connect the speakerwire backwords on the amp or sub, you just simply flip a switch.

so if i have 2 subs running off 1 mono amp and swith the phase to 180 it will not make my subs sound any different right?

Edited by 99vic

/Rant

It should not, it will just make the subs fire inward instead of outward when the bass hits. You will not gain anything by changing the phase.

ok thanks

/Rant

It might sound different musically. You're changing when the waves arrive at the front of the car - the massive path length difference between fronts and sub can make the bass seem more 'forward' when you change the phase.

On the meter, 0 difference.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!