Second Skin Audio

facing subs

I have a deduction and was wondering if someone could back it up or tell me I'm full of it. 

I'm facing my subs backwards, always have, and found the reason for greater bass when facing subs backwards is that the sub is in closer inphase with itself and basically the closer it is to the rear of the car the 'more' in phase the reflections are.

My deduction then is if I don't want to place my subs directly against the trunk lid would I get better bass by building a false wall and facing the subs backwards toward the wall and sealing off the rest of the trunk? Doing this should get the most bass response by getting the reflections in phase as much as possible, correct?

The more I learn the dumber I get. :P

Actually what I am trying to do is keep the reflections in phase with the output of the subs.

What I am planning on doing is based on the findings of this installer; http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html also if you look at this goto part #2.

I wanted to know if my thinking was correct.

I've done the trunk deadening and yes that helps. But with a sealed wall the waves should be 'in phase'.  Also, I over build so it wouldn't just be a piece of mdf. It will be deadened and I will add a plexiglass window for viewing. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this and if they are what were the results. It would be much eseier to just deaden the trunk lid but could I gain db and bass response with a false wall?

i understand what your saying.......try it!

BTW: in YOUR situation, whats a "deduction"? ??? ;D 

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

I used a couple of differrent configs in my mustang. L7 12's

First I did sealed firing into the middle of the trunk with 2 L7 12's= very loud (never metered it)

Next I tried sealed under the package tray(rear deck) firing into the trunk towards the tail lights, not as loud but sounded cleaner.(agian never metered it)

Then I built a box ported it through the rear deck subz firing towards the tail lights.  seemed quiter than sealed but much better sq (metered a 133.1 bassrace. burped a 134.9 @37hz)

Then I glassed in a box that fired into the cabin ported through the rear deck, completely sealed off the cabin from the trunk. never metered it because I killed the subz LOL but it was REAL FREAKING loud with a modded BD1501 pushing I mean hands down the loudest setup yet. my good friend told me repeatedly turn it down or Im gonna puke.

Then I upgraded Subz to 2 SoundStream SPLX154's

rebuilt the box but using the same method ported through the rear deck and sealed from the cabin and it did  143.3 burp, 141,1 bassrace, was extremely violent on the lows. did 138.3 @ 28hz (with around 600 watts on each sub)

So from my experience it was way louder  cabin firing port and sub sealed from the trunk, if you can do this, this will net you much more loudness

I used a couple of differrent configs in my mustang. L7 12's

First I did sealed firing into the middle of the trunk with 2 L7 12's= very loud (never metered it)

Next I tried sealed under the package tray(rear deck) firing into the trunk towards the tail lights, not as loud but sounded cleaner.(agian never metered it)

Then I built a box ported it through the rear deck subz firing towards the tail lights.  seemed quiter than sealed but much better sq (metered a 133.1 bassrace. burped a 134.9 @37hz)

Then I glassed in a box that fired into the cabin ported through the rear deck, completely sealed off the cabin from the trunk. never metered it because I killed the subz LOL but it was REAL FREAKING loud with a modded BD1501 pushing I mean hands down the loudest setup yet. my good friend told me repeatedly turn it down or Im gonna puke.

Then I upgraded Subz to 2 SoundStream SPLX154's

rebuilt the box but using the same method ported through the rear deck and sealed from the cabin and it did  143.3 burp, 141,1 bassrace, was extremely violent on the lows. did 138.3 @ 28hz (with around 600 watts on each sub)

So from my experience it was way louder  cabin firing port and sub sealed from the trunk, if you can do this, this will net you much more loudness

thnx for this reply...i was waiting for someone to do a test like this...now i know what ill be doing with my 2 18's ;) ;D

2006 Impala setupkenwood kdc-x789Pioneer 6.5'skicker 850.4pa a3000db @.351 18" BTL

Cool, Im glad it helped someone out besides myself, it was just my way of trying to get louder, I thank my good bro meade, because all but the sealed test's where his suggestions.