Sundown Audio

Rf Vs Sundown

sonic purity

Well . . . here we go again. When it comes to amplifier performance, power output and efficiency are really important criteria. That being said, so is thermal time. To the best of my memory, I can't remember a dealer complaining to us that the T10001bd wouldn't party all night long. Add to that:

- the ParaPunch controller

- Master / Slave capability

- bd syncability

- amplified pass thrus

And . . . we believe we still have a pretty competitive product - even though it's 5 (yes FIVE) years in the market now. Threads like this make me giggle - I'll begin worrying when people don't say "it's better than a Rockford" . . .

:)

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

ill be straight up honest i would take a fosgate amp over most amps anyday. and although im curious im pretty sure the T3k is a "bigger" amp then said sundown BUT for my own personal build $$$ and space are at a premium

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

ill be straight up honest i would take a fosgate amp over most amps anyday. and although im curious im pretty sure the T3k is a "bigger" amp then said sundown BUT for my own personal build $$$ and space are at a premium

Emp,

You make a valid point. When it comes to amps that make power in excess of 3,000 watts RMS, one really can't consider the physical size to be much of a determining factor though. In fact, many consumers are skeptical when they see smaller footprint amplifiers with big power claims.

Now, when it comes to 1,000 to 1,500 watt RMS amplifiers, they're so commonly used now-a-days that one could argue that physical size is certainly a criteria. Case in point - our new T1500-1bd makes more (albeit only two hundred watts or so) power than the T10001bd. In many markets, we continue to prosper with the T10001bd because those consumers prefer the physical size and feature set over the T1500-1bd. In other markets, the T1500-1bd outsells the T10001bd ten to one because they'll fit just about anywhere.

Like I pointed out in my earlier post, thermal time is certainly a criteria that most consumers will value - and highly. No matter how much power or how compact an amplifier is, if it thermals before the fun begins, it really doesn't do the user much good. There are many approaches to this problem, and class D (and our class bd) amplifiers start out with an advantage over their class A/B brethren due to efficiency. That's certainly an area where we shine. While the T10001bd and T1500-1bd have different thermal "solutions", they both have an excellent track record in the field where it matters the most.

This is why when we purchase other brands of "thousand" watt amplifiers, they will often fall short of the mark. Regardless, I always welcome a healthy debate.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

let's compare 2 sundown 1500s strapped at 1 ohm versus a single sundown 3k at .5 ohm. 80 :rofl::crazy:

but really.. people do those all the time, they just want to know which is better for their cash and i can't blame them for that. If i am unsure on something even if it's stupid or not a good comparison , I will ask people what they think.

just taking in opinions, nothing wrong with that.

Here is what the final conclusion to all of those "this vs. that" threads will say if both products are considered top notch......"my opinion is_ , but I have no experience with_" ...."this one puts out more power_" This one can handle higher/lower _" ....the question people should be asking is, which amp will suit my needs and best fit me for the future? This is where price comes into play...If you could get the sundown for the same price, get it, because it puts out more power, but if it is more money, then stick to the one that will best match your current power need, because an economic theory (I forget which) states that you will get a percentage of what you spent in return when you trade in, and you will lose more for the more expensive amp in the long run... Just get what you need people.

that was very well said, imma keep that in mind, im looking into a new system for my new car, so im exploring all options. that advice you just gave, helped me alot

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

Emp,

You make a valid point. When it comes to amps that make power in excess of 3,000 watts RMS, one really can't consider the physical size to be much of a determining factor though. In fact, many consumers are skeptical when they see smaller footprint amplifiers with big power claims.

Now, when it comes to 1,000 to 1,500 watt RMS amplifiers, they're so commonly used now-a-days that one could argue that physical size is certainly a criteria. Case in point - our new T1500-1bd makes more (albeit only two hundred watts or so) power than the T10001bd. In many markets, we continue to prosper with the T10001bd because those consumers prefer the physical size and feature set over the T1500-1bd. In other markets, the T1500-1bd outsells the T10001bd ten to one because they'll fit just about anywhere.

Like I pointed out in my earlier post, thermal time is certainly a criteria that most consumers will value - and highly. No matter how much power or how compact an amplifier is, if it thermals before the fun begins, it really doesn't do the user much good. There are many approaches to this problem, and class D (and our class bd) amplifiers start out with an advantage over their class A/B brethren due to efficiency. That's certainly an area where we shine. While the T10001bd and T1500-1bd have different thermal "solutions", they both have an excellent track record in the field where it matters the most.

This is why when we purchase other brands of "thousand" watt amplifiers, they will often fall short of the mark. Regardless, I always welcome a healthy debate.

Does Fosgate purchase other amps on the market and test them against there amps? Just to get a idea how the competitor stack up.

n2caraudio.com

lol ya ive seen it (JBL :o )

But regarding the debate i dont really consider myself fighting for either side because honestly i like both amps AND my situation is much different then the average consumer. only thing id suggest changing about the power elite amps is the covers. they look nice but need screws in all 4 corners. If the subs can have fake rivits and still look good then im sure something can be fixed with the rattling cover.

Im actually pretty sad thou. my T3k is sold and even thou its still in my possession i miss it

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

lol ya ive seen it (JBL :o )

But regarding the debate i dont really consider myself fighting for either side because honestly i like both amps AND my situation is much different then the average consumer. only thing id suggest changing about the power elite amps is the covers. they look nice but need screws in all 4 corners. If the subs can have fake rivits and still look good then im sure something can be fixed with the rattling cover.

Im actually pretty sad thou. my T3k is sold and even thou its still in my possession i miss it

I agree, the cover rattle is driving me nuts. I have gotten alot of suggestions on how to fix it, but havent had the time to do it.

n2caraudio.com

lol i was going to go all out on it.... a few strips of damp pro on the back then spray the whole thing with spectrum. possibly add overkill to the top 3 slide in pieces

Archived