Second Skin Audio

Jl 12w7 Vs. Alpine Type X

I wouldn't put a type X and SPL in the same sentence, they don't get that loud. And for the money.... you can do MUCH better then a W7.

My choice is neither.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

type X and im not favoring alpine, just letting you know that the type X is definatly better and louder than the w7. Another plus with the alpine is they recommend to use their subs in sealed enclosures which is what your going for ;)B)

thats relative... A guy w 2 10 type x off a rf bd1000 did a 143.3 in a avenger , seats down , my single 12w7 off a jl 1000/1 did a 143.6 in a grand am, seats down.... Ive seen MANY w7 setups in texas shows near the 150 mark ( 4 12's and 3 13.5's different setups obviously ) So theres many variables...

I see people on here w dual 15 setups ( that are good subs re sx, dc, mtx, kicker with dual sub setups where the posters said it was a very good score for them , that on avg were 1-2 db below my single w7 ported setup..

I built quite a few different snclosures for my w7 , and to me the one the sounded the best ( most overall freq. range ) was the HO box.. It seemed no matter what freq u played it at, it always sounded clear , clean smooth, loud n low.. Ive heard many type x setups, so im not dogging them im just going off the scores id see at shows and off MY termlab

** in with the new**96 grand am GT 2- dc lv 3 12'smemphis mc1000d145.3@46 hz** out with old**96 Grand am GT12w71000/1 143.6 @ 46 hz on the new TLhttp://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=av1023dc4.jpg

both are overrated

get a Q

not overrated if HE likes how it sounds.. Everyone likes different things.. some say a w7 sounds hollow... Ive owned HOLLOW subs.. to me my re sx sounded hollow and couldnt touch the w7's low end... I know it sounds like im being another w7 "fanboy, but no matter what anyone says the w7 is a hell of a SQL sub...

Lil off topic but my buddy had an older bd2000 or t2000 ( cant remember ) pushing a 13.5 w7 at 1.5 ohms .. I dunno what that comes out to for that amp ( which was rated around 2600 i believe ) And that sub took it all , never bottomed out , no popping, low as all hell and clean .. So maybe 800 watts over rated power , for daily .. That made me respect why some people pay so much for them.. Oh fyi that sub did a 145.9 at 38 hz box 3 cubes tuned to 28 hz

** in with the new**96 grand am GT 2- dc lv 3 12'smemphis mc1000d145.3@46 hz** out with old**96 Grand am GT12w71000/1 143.6 @ 46 hz on the new TLhttp://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=av1023dc4.jpg

im not trying to spam but.. Ive seen higher scores at shows w type r's than x's.. but that s just me

but would you agree the Q is a good option for the money. I'm pretty sure its cheaper than a w7

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN

im not trying to spam but.. Ive seen higher scores at shows w type r's than x's.. but that s just me

I would hope so, the type X isnt designed for SPL, its designed to be CLEAN,

your comparing apples to oranges

I had a type X 12's they sounded superb, played with a w7, it sounded very good too, but for the money I would take a Type X over the W7 all day everyday.

but would you agree the Q is a good option for the money. I'm pretty sure its cheaper than a w7

From what i here , Hell yea , for the money and the good feedback the "Q" and Fi in general get, its a damn good alternative .. If people actually paid "cost" for a w7 , like what all the internet companies charge ( fi, dc etc ) im sure 90% of ca enthusiasts would run w7s...

Not dogging any of the smaller companies ( hell i run DC and love em, And RE in the past ) but when JL can market there product so much AS being one of the "TOP " companies and making there hi end 12 $900 , do u really think the Celeberties, athletes, movie stars , pimps , hoes , what ever are really gonna buy fi s top end sub for 500 or so?? JL is a marketing company .. But the sad thing is that nobody knows about the smaller guys who make better products for cheaper.. example.... My 2 12 dc lvl 3's blow away the jl w3 s in every way .. And even w the same power mine hit harder, louder and cleaner in a TRUNK car , compared to his talon, and is on par with the 2 12 w6 1000/1 combo in a grand prix... ANd those subs retail are 350-400 bux more ..

IDK its all about popularity here

I would hope so, the type X isnt designed for SPL, its designed to be CLEAN,

your comparing apples to oranges

I had a type X 12's they sounded superb, played with a w7, it sounded very good too, but for the money I would take a Type X over the W7 all day everyday.

Exactly what im saying... I'm assuming you and I have heard both them subs in many different cars, enclosures, power , electrical etc.. You may have heard very good alpine setups, and i might have heard very good JL setups ... But i guarantee in the right car either sub, Dual 12 would sound great nd be upper 140's.. Like i said just my personal experience w them tho

From what i here , Hell yea , for the money and the good feedback the "Q" and Fi in general get, its a damn good alternative .. If people actually paid "cost" for a w7 , like what all the internet companies charge ( fi, dc etc ) im sure 90% of ca enthusiasts would run w7s...

Not dogging any of the smaller companies ( hell i run DC and love em, And RE in the past ) but when JL can market there product so much AS being one of the "TOP " companies and making there hi end 12 $900 , do u really think the Celeberties, athletes, movie stars , pimps , hoes , what ever are really gonna buy fi s top end sub for 500 or so?? JL is a marketing company .. But the sad thing is that nobody knows about the smaller guys who make better products for cheaper.. example.... My 2 12 dc lvl 3's blow away the jl w3 s in every way .. And even w the same power mine hit harder, louder and cleaner in a TRUNK car , compared to his talon, and is on par with the 2 12 w6 1000/1 combo in a grand prix... ANd those subs retail are 350-400 bux more ..

IDK its all about popularity here

exactly. I would take DC over JL or Alpine. If i was looking for a 1000 wrms sub i would look at the 12" lvl 4 DC subwoofer. Thats just my opinion is though :acute:

DCBanner.jpg

1 DC lvl 4 15"

1 Hifonics BXi 1608D

3.2ft^3 Box tuned to 32-33Hz

Knu Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0

Knu Karma SS 8 Gauge Speaker Wire

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X493 Head Unit (coming soon)

Kenwood mids + highs (coming soon)

Build

Archived