Sonic Electronix

This question has been bugging me for a while. I know most of you would say cone area, but do you guys prefer more of a cheaper woofer, or fewer of a quality woofer.

This question arose when I was planning an older build. I had a choice between 4 l7 15s ported or 8 CVR 15s sealed. Like I said I prefer a quality woofer and would rather (now) have 4 18s (lvl 4 or 9418s) than 6-8 lvl 2-3 or 35 12s or something like that.

HOWEVER, another question I bring to you guys is: what are the benefits of both and the negatives of both. I know with more cone area (number of woofer wise) you have a better efficiency and more heat displacement.

Idk, also try to assume same power (amp wise)

Well, based upon recent experience, I guess I joined the more cone area club.

I went from an a/d/s 10" sub to a Kicker comp 15", to 4 then 8 Hifonics 12"s, (just the regular Hifonics, very inexpensive on sale! :shok:)

Nothing wrong with 1 or 2 quality subs, I was just ready for something big.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

This question has been bugging me for a while. I know most of you would say cone area, but do you guys prefer more of a cheaper woofer, or fewer of a quality woofer.

This question arose when I was planning an older build. I had a choice between 4 l7 15s ported or 8 CVR 15s sealed. Like I said I prefer a quality woofer and would rather (now) have 4 18s (lvl 4 or 9418s) than 6-8 lvl 2-3 or 35 12s or something like that.

HOWEVER, another question I bring to you guys is: what are the benefits of both and the negatives of both. I know with more cone area (number of woofer wise) you have a better efficiency and more heat displacement.

Idk, also try to assume same power (amp wise)

i had four shallow pioneer subs in my truck powered by a memphis class d amp. each sub was getting about 250RMS a sub.....i got the new Fi BL12'' sub and installed it in a 2.5cuft box ported to 32hz getting 1000RMS and hits way harder than the four subs in a sealed box.....everyone i know that hurd the shallows and then hurd the Fi single 12'' was shocked....it is two times louder no doubt....drops so low and clean.................so i would go with good quality subs over alot of cheap subs IMO......you will be happy in the end

Edited by FiBTLforlife

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

i had four shallow pioneer subs in my truck powered by a memphis class d amp. each sub was getting about 250RMS a sub.....i got the new Fi BL12'' sub and installed it in a 2.5cuft box ported to 32hz getting 1000RMS and hits way harder than the four subs in a sealed box.....everyone i know that hurd the shallows and then hurd the Fi single 12'' was shocked....it is two times louder no doubt....drops so low and clean.................so i would go with good quality subs over alot of cheap subs IMO......you will be happy in the end

Not speaking form experience, but from everything I've read about shallow subs, you can not compare them. Had you had 4 regular depth pioneer subs they would have hit a lot harder than the shallow ones. General consensus is you need more power to shallow subs to get them to sound the same as their full size counterpart.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Not speaking form experience, but from everything I've read about shallow subs, you can not compare them. Had you had 4 regular depth pioneer subs they would have hit a lot harder than the shallow ones. General consensus is you need more power to shallow subs to get them to sound the same as their full size counterpart.

x2, the shallows cannot move as much as the full size.

i mean, it also depends on what the subs are tunned to... b/c if you do more lower end subs in a sealed box that would probably give you better bass race numbers... b/c of high tuning... but good quality woofer, ported tuned to low freq. will give you the gangsta DEEP bass evey gp wants or has... you know? but the betta quality subs in a ported enclosure may not do as well in a bass race, unless your only playing low frequencies

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

It isn't easy to beat cone area when it comes to volume.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz