My First Computer Build

i'm all about lights in a PC. i got UV loom and shrink tubing on mine with 2 black lights in it. should look nice in there

I was thinking about some led strips on the top of the case so it looks like its glowing

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the hell 3d marks are or where to buy the thing to test it out my buddy was talking about it one time but I have no idea what it is or what it does

So obviously this isn't a budget build... lol. I guess youve already bought the stuff so I can't comment too much. One thing I would have liked to have seen (and it can still be done) is getting another video card and running sli. I would have done that way before I spent 1k on a cpu that isn't that much faster than one $700 cheaper. Im guessing you are running vista? The only other main thing I would have changed is getting a case without a power supply and getting a nice 1kw or so one. Id also highly suggest getting you another hard drive, say a 1tb to put your media etc files on. This will not only take some load off of your raptor, but it will also be more reliable. Raptors, atleast the older ones like I own, have a slightly higher self-destruction rate than a quality 7200 drive has. Mine actually took a dump on me (corrupted) one time while doing some test and I had to reformat it, luckily thats all it needed. Then if you want to go further all out, get another raptor and set up raid 0. Oh yea, especially with a nice heatsink like that, id suggest some artic silver thermal compound. :)

As far as 3d mark, it is just a benchmarking program. You get it, run it, look at the pretty graphics, and then it gives you an overall score on how well your computer does at rendering graphics. It is based on the frame rate your pc is able to get on its tests.

You can get it here: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark06/

Do you plan on watercooling it? Makes computer run and look so much better. Since you got the budget you should look at that

i beg to differ. there's a lot of technicalities with water cooling. you have to know what you're buying. a typical water cooling kit will cool only as good as a decent fan. you'd need to buy all the parts separate and match them together to get the most out of it. and it's also not very necessary unless you plan to overclock, which by his equipment, doesnt look like it's going to be necessary. he also got a very decent fan/heatsink to compensate.

water cooling is neat and cool to look at (if it's all lit up and stuff) but it's more of a pain. you need the right liquid, you need the right amount of coolant, etc etc. i have it, and i did everything i was supposed to, asked plenty of questions and did everything they said. i asked about sludge build up, cuz i read that people have to change out the water every couple months cuz the UV doesnt glow, or cuz of sludge. and i got a few responses saying how there's no such thing as sludge build up. lol well guess who got sludge in their kit...:P so needless to say i'm done with water cooling. got this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835106102 to take its place. should be here by wednesday. i'll stay just as cool, if not cooler and i can OC without any worries. friend has the same one and he OC's and it takes it like a champ.

not saying it's not good, or it's worthless...just saying that it is unless you know exactly what you're lookin for as far as parts, and what you're putting into the tubes. i went that route but going back to good ol' fans

So obviously this isn't a budget build... lol. I guess youve already bought the stuff so I can't comment too much. One thing I would have liked to have seen (and it can still be done) is getting another video card and running sli. I would have done that way before I spent 1k on a cpu that isn't that much faster than one $700 cheaper. Im guessing you are running vista? The only other main thing I would have changed is getting a case without a power supply and getting a nice 1kw or so one. Id also highly suggest getting you another hard drive, say a 1tb to put your media etc files on. This will not only take some load off of your raptor, but it will also be more reliable. Raptors, atleast the older ones like I own, have a slightly higher self-destruction rate than a quality 7200 drive has. Mine actually took a dump on me (corrupted) one time while doing some test and I had to reformat it, luckily thats all it needed. Then if you want to go further all out, get another raptor and set up raid 0. Oh yea, especially with a nice heatsink like that, id suggest some artic silver thermal compound. :)

SLI doesnt exactly add as much performance as one would think. it helps run games smoother, but i would go with 1 big card over 2. lots of people i've talked to say SLI hurts more than anything. if you were to go that way, crossfire is more the way to go. i got 1 768 MB card and run crysis on full settings. so i wanna say with his 1gig card he will be ok. if not he can add one later on like you said

and is your version of vista the 32 bit? lots of programs and such arent compatible with the 64 bit version. as of yet at least

I definitely agree with expo about the watercooling... there isn't really a whole lot of point to it anymore. I had it on my old setup that got to hot when I overclocked it, but have no need anymore, it was more trouble than it was worth to set it back up etc.

Yea, im doubting he will ever have to worry about anything while setting up games besides turning everything all the way up, but still, I would have done sli before that cpu. But, no matter what he will be happy with it. Aaron, what are you building this computer for? Do any gaming?

Expo, resulution was that at?

I definitely agree with expo about the watercooling... there isn't really a whole lot of point to it anymore. I had it on my old setup that got to hot when I overclocked it, but have no need anymore, it was more trouble than it was worth to set it back up etc.

Yea, im doubting he will ever have to worry about anything while setting up games besides turning everything all the way up, but still, I would have done sli before that cpu. But, no matter what he will be happy with it. Aaron, what are you building this computer for? Do any gaming?

Expo, resulution was that at?

i see what you're sayin with the CPU. i went with a dual core myself before a quad core, since mine is more for gaming. when i bought it i think only a game or two utilized the 4 cores? half life 2 or somethin? i'll update when i need to tho.

resolution for...crysis? 1440x900. only got a lil twitchy towards the end when things started gettin really crazy. but still wasnt too bad.

Archived