Sundown Audio

Dropping Below 1 Ohm

Will do. Is this the reason for the protect cutting on?

ETA: I was told that the amp only draws from the alt, while the car is on.

no you NEED a battery. i thought i read somewhere that the alt would be sending a "dirty" signal to the amps where as the batteries send a cleaner one.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

It's POSSIBLE that the '1 ohm' coils are actually closer to 0.7 ohms or thereabouts so your nominal load might be around this... but you need a really good multimeter to read resistance this low accurately.

Impedance rise should keep you plenty above 1 ohm actual load. Get a multimeter and watch the voltage at the amps terminals when you're bumping.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

It's POSSIBLE that the '1 ohm' coils are actually closer to 0.7 ohms or thereabouts so your nominal load might be around this... but you need a really good multimeter to read resistance this low accurately.

Impedance rise should keep you plenty above 1 ohm actual load. Get a multimeter and watch the voltage at the amps terminals when you're bumping.

Boon, I got a reading of 0.6 - 0.7 ohms off the subs with my DMM

Impedance rise should keep you over 1 ohm most of the time but you're probably pushing the limits a little.

The amp will draw huge current at this load, I suspect your voltage is dropping causing the amp to protect. Put a volt meter across the power terminals at the amp and burp 50hz as loud as you can, see what the voltage drops to. If it's lower than 12 you need to upgrade your electrical really.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Impedance rise should keep you over 1 ohm most of the time but you're probably pushing the limits a little.

The amp will draw huge current at this load, I suspect your voltage is dropping causing the amp to protect. Put a volt meter across the power terminals at the amp and burp 50hz as loud as you can, see what the voltage drops to. If it's lower than 12 you need to upgrade your electrical really.

It don't drop below 12.7 (the lowest). The average was 13.7 - 14.3. At really hard bass notes it dropped and went into protect but the voltage was above 13.0 (13.1 -13.4).

it shouldnt tho.... unless u play at tune freq or slightly below ur never going to come near 1 ohm

(lowest impedence is at tune freq)... that shouldnt be the issue

and u are sure they are wired correctly...?

i really dont see how a stock bat can hold a charge like that.... and stay above 12.7 with the lowest impedence possible loaded on that amp

TeamSundown-sig.jpg