4.2ch Vs 2.2ch Crossover Difference

Hey guys, just curious what the difference between a 2.2ch (3 way) system is and a 4.2 (F/R/Sub-W) system. My headunit features the option of setting up to either way but I've always just had it on factory setting of 4.2.

In the future I will be adding in speakers after my new subs. I'm going to put in 4x6" replacements in the rear pillars, and I'm shooting towards 6.5" midranges in the doors with tweeters in the A-pillars, what is the difference in that setup compared to my current stock speaker configuration, and should I change the head unit crossover system after the new speakers?

If anyone would be kind enough to give a bit of explanation it would be MUCH appreciated. Here's a link to the deck.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...ng=en&tab=F

Thanks tons!

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Hey guys, just curious what the difference between a 2.2ch (3 way) system is and a 4.2 (F/R/Sub-W) system. My headunit features the option of setting up to either way but I've always just had it on factory setting of 4.2.

In the future I will be adding in speakers after my new subs. I'm going to put in 4x6" replacements in the rear pillars, and I'm shooting towards 6.5" midranges in the doors with tweeters in the A-pillars, what is the difference in that setup compared to my current stock speaker configuration, and should I change the head unit crossover system after the new speakers?

If anyone would be kind enough to give a bit of explanation it would be MUCH appreciated. Here's a link to the deck.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...ng=en&tab=F

Thanks tons!

hmm, not really sure how to answer the question about the difference between 3&4 way system i'm thinking that the 2 ch 3 way system would only use two of the outputs of your radio to go into a crossover, eq or amp that then splits the signal to fr/r/sub. the other uses all outputs to have it's own input into c/o, eq or amps. i would think that's whats meant, maybe someone else will correct me or agree. as far as changing the crossover points on your new speakers your going to have to play that one by ear. a component set is going to give you a lot better sound (assuming you still have stock?). you don't have to change; i would leave the settings alone at first and see what it sounds like then play from there. the only person that can tell you what sounds good is you.

hmm, not really sure how to answer the question about the difference between 3&4 way system i'm thinking that the 2 ch 3 way system would only use two of the outputs of your radio to go into a crossover, eq or amp that then splits the signal to fr/r/sub. the other uses all outputs to have it's own input into c/o, eq or amps. i would think that's whats meant, maybe someone else will correct me or agree. as far as changing the crossover points on your new speakers your going to have to play that one by ear. a component set is going to give you a lot better sound (assuming you still have stock?). you don't have to change; i would leave the settings alone at first and see what it sounds like then play from there. the only person that can tell you what sounds good is you.

I considered that unit before I found my new Eclipse headunit, it's an internal 3-way active crossover. You would need seperate amplifier channels for each front tweeter, midrange, and midbass, (or 6 chanels of amplification) easier to run two 4 channel amps for front stage and rear fill, then other amp/amps for your subs.

If you want to see a build where it's done properly, check out KingSuv and Melissa's F-250.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG