Ebay Alternator Legit?

I ordered a 200 Amp for my Exploder and it looked great but when I installed it it was only charging at 12 volts. I called up DB and they said sorry and troubleshot on the phone but nothing worked. I was like shit I got crap and then the due at DB said "don't worry about it". So naturally I got kinda irritated and asked what do you mean don't worry about it? Point being they overnighted me a new one and upped it to a 220 amp at no charge and it went in and works perfectly. Turns out the post on the original was broke where it connects inside the alternator. With that being said, he guys up there at DB were really cool and I wouldn't hesitate to say go ahead and buy from them.

In order to produce and sell alternators that cheap, corners have to be cut. Not to say that it is a bad product per say, but low voltage at idle is typically a result of low amperage at idle. This comes from using a "hotter" stator, and an OE (cheap) rotor. Having custom rotors wound is not cheap, nor is having custom regulators built to handle the beefy custom rotor. Anyone can slam a $25 stator into a stock alternator and get 200 amps, but it takes a little more engineering to get good low RPM output- something to consider when shopping for alternators.

I do have good low RPM output and the only reason it was not good was the terminal post was broken at the connection. The new one has had no problems and I intentionally tried to pound it into the ground for 2 weeks straight before I started rebuilding, no problems ever came up.

member9971.png

In order to produce and sell alternators that cheap, corners have to be cut. Not to say that it is a bad product per say, but low voltage at idle is typically a result of low amperage at idle. This comes from using a "hotter" stator, and an OE (cheap) rotor. Having custom rotors wound is not cheap, nor is having custom regulators built to handle the beefy custom rotor. Anyone can slam a $25 stator into a stock alternator and get 200 amps, but it takes a little more engineering to get good low RPM output- something to consider when shopping for alternators.

so sell me a $25 stator thatll fit in my stock alt to hold me off for now :D cant be worse than stock idle output ;)

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

so sell me a $25 stator thatll fit in my stock alt to hold me off for now :D cant be worse than stock idle output ;)

Actually you are incorrect, your output at idle WOULD be worse than stock. You can usually get some low RPM performance back by going to an overdrive pulley on the alt, but it all depends.

you know i was looking to this 200+ amp alt on ebay. i emailed the seller and he said it put out around 60 amps at idle (yeh that's low i know) so he suggested a smaller pulley for higher idle output. hell the alternator was only around $150 + shipping.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module