Sundown Audio

Amp Really Blown Now...

Well I know it's a repost but this should help alleviate what went down with it...I think the amp just blew up and I blew up a second time and like totally fried the internals...

I pretty much rigged everything up including a new fuse...then as the paint example will show how EVERY piece of wire was done so that anyone can suggest if there was a ground out some where

I pushed the power wire in a little...sparked and it made me jump...I figured of course it's gonna spark..everything is grounded right so it's gonna zap a little...

I pushed it in harder the second time completely in...BOOM...the amp just spewed smoke from both sides....it's a goner...and if it isn't I give 8 thumbs up to hifonics but I'm not trying that again cause there will probably be a fire...

ok here is a paint illustration on how it was wired on all parts of the car as I shoved the power wire into the amp...

fried.jpg

The reason I believe that there is no accidental shorts is because the little amp is FINE...and still WORKS just GREAT...it doesn't even have a FUSE to protect it other than its own fuses..

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Hifonics Brutus Bxi2607D (FRIED...saving for ZX2500.1)

2 15" 07 L7's ported at 32hz

Xplod POS for the MIDS, which are Memphis

SMDMafiaFrozenbritches.jpg

That's impossible though cause I've had the speakers wired the same way on that amp since I had them a year ago on that same amp...it didn't change with the new box...only thing that changed was a new batt added in...I think the amp fried cause I had the bass knob up on a REAL bassy song...you know you can tell how much power your subs are getting with the volume up...well I didn't have the volume up so I didn't notice..the bass knob fed it way too much juice and BAM...it melted something important and it shorted my fuse...I'm s urprised it didn't blown the fuse I had put in lol

Yes I had it hooked up to the BACK battery...I decided to do that because it's just as good of an idea as any...when I hooked up the bat it would have fried it anyways...you have to have safe grounds then you can plug it in...the front battery was not giving any power at all that ground was disconnected..

on a side note, when I plugged it in it lit up the lights..you know how hifonics has lights on the front..it lit up as if the remote turn on wire was on and it was getting power and it was turned on...except the thing fried and the lights shut off and the smoke just puffed out the sides...

and one more note on some problems previously...When ever I had "I command you (blanks) to get money" from jeezy was on a little too loud the amp auto went into protect mode while on other songs it played jsut fine really loud

Edited by Frozenbritches

Sounds like you didn't have the gain adjusted properly if your amp is cutting out on peak notes in a song.

Also when connecting a Live 12v+ at the amp is BAD, I always do mine via fuse link, I leave the fuse in to the power side of the amp then when I am ready to bring the two connections together I connect the Batt wire to the batt side of the fuse, That way if you get a random voltage spike you blow the fuse not the amp.

Edited by Shinju

Sounds like you didn't have the gain adjusted properly if your amp is cutting out on peak notes in a song.

Also when connecting a Live 12v+ at the amp is BAD, I always do mine via fuse link, I leave the fuse in to the power side of the amp then when I am ready to bring the two connections together I connect the Batt wire to the batt side of the fuse, That way if you get a random voltage spike you blow the fuse not the amp.

Not trying to argue cause man I'm past it..I want a new amp now cause as far as I can tell I wanted more out of the amp than it wanted to give...a zx2500.1 will suit my needs better and won't have to be pushed that hard to get them to pound...

I just want to say how is connecting the live wire different from at the bat...since the fuse still should pop before that "voltage spike" goes through the fuse and hits the amp...cause no matter what the voltage spike comes from the battery through the fuse and busts it before it hits the amp..no matter where you connect it..

and I don't mean to be ungrateful thank you for all the suggestions on problems I really do appreciate it..I want to know if there really may be a possibility I hook up that zx2500 and blow it as well I'm gonna literally bawl like a little kid....gonna check my wire at the fire wall and at the ground point again to make sure all is well ...

assuming it was the amplifiers fault because I got a 300 amp fuse and it did NOT blow when the amp smoked up...so....I assume that there wasn't a voltage spike the amp just was fried already and continued to sizzle when I plugged it in..

Edited by Frozenbritches

Probably due to having the amp screwed to your sub box. MOSFET legs like to snap from the vibrations.

Then you get a short inside the amp and it pops your fuse every time, or if the fuse is pretty big, just smokes the shit out of your amp every time you put power to it.

It was probably only a little bit broken before, but now it's probably a paperweight. You could talk to a good repair place like db-r.com but it sounds pretty dead to me...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Thanks for that...finally a theory that possibly could be the cause..I jsut want to rule out a short because that means if I plug in another amp it's toast too...Since the little amp is clearly working on that same line it can't be a short..especially since that amp is not so good...

think I should mount the next amp elsewhere? or is that just long term on the box deal...I'm sure it sees alot of vibration though lol....

I'm thinking about buying a crunch 3000 which will do similar power my bxi2607d did...if not more..

Edited by Frozenbritches