What Settings For Charging My Batts?

I just recieved an intellicharger by powermaster from mechman. Awesome shape by the way. Anyways, I have a lead-acid battery up front with a kinetic hc2400 that is non accessible in the trunk. There are multiple battery settings I can put the charger on. lead-acid "flooded", agm high-deep cycle, or agm low-gel cell. And I have the option of 5amp, 15amp, or 25amp for each. What should I place the charger on considering I have two different types of batteries?

Edited by eaglescorpio1

Loud as f*ck, and sounds good doing it.

Team built from here on out!!!!

BIG things to come.........

Missing link is the shite!!!

SMDMafiaEagleScorpio1.jpg

bannerfans_8aed9634.png

It should be on AGM/ gell, 25 amp. You are splitting the amperage between two bats, so 25amps will definitely not be too much, and the gell setting will charge at a lower voltage so that the Kinetik doesn't get overcgarged and gas. It won't hurt the flooded battery to be charged at 14.8 volts.

For realz don't worry about the kinetic getting "overcharged" or "gased" thats :bsflag: @ 14.8 volts.

Mine charge with 2 alts (@ 300amps) and at 15.8volts alot more than 25 amps @ 14.8v without a single problem for a year now. If you want full charge on that kinetic you will need to charge it on the 16v cycle for while. Do a couple cycles of 5 hours or so and you will see how much power you get from a kinetic when it is fully charged. Resting voltage should be around 13.3v for the kinetic so by only giving it 14.8v it will never reach the recommended level of charge per cell!!! Test resting voltage a few hours after its been off the charger so the "surface charge" will fade away to reveal a more accurate settled resting voltage.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

For realz don't worry about the kinetic getting "overcharged" or "gased" thats :bsflag: @ 14.8 volts.

Mine charge with 2 alts (@ 300amps) and at 15.8volts alot more than 25 amps @ 14.8v without a single problem for a year now. If you want full charge on that kinetic you will need to charge it on the 16v cycle for while. Do a couple cycles of 5 hours or so and you will see how much power you get from a kinetic when it is fully charged. Resting voltage should be around 13.3v for the kinetic so by only giving it 14.8v it will never reach the recommended level of charge per cell!!! Test resting voltage a few hours after its been off the charger so the "surface charge" will fade away to reveal a more accurate settled resting voltage.

MLA

Oh, my bad. I guess Kinetik and Powermaster didn't know what they were doing when they designed their battery chargers. I just do what the directions say in case I ever have to warranty one. Here's a quote from the kinetik powersupply/charger instruction manual: http://www.kinetikaudio.com/downloads.asp

"GENERAL INFORMATION

Kinetik Intelligent 120 VAC to 12 VDC Power Converters are state-of-the-art

electronic converters / battery chargers. Their compact size and quiet operation

gives greater flexibility in selecting the mounting locaiton for either OEM installation

or after market replacement.

The Kinetik Intelligent Power Converters have a computer controlled charging

module built in. This is a microprocessor-controlled device which constantly

monitors the battery, and then automatically adjusts the converter output voltage

based on its charge status. There are four (4) operating Modes (NORMAL,

BOOST, STORAGE and DESULFATION/EQUALIZE). Each mode is automatically

selected by the microprocessor and ensures a fast yet safe recharge for

your battery. See the chart below for details.

The chart below shows the amount of time it took a converter set to three different

output voltages to recharge a 125Ah (Amp Hour) battery after it was discharged

to 10.5 volts.

GENERAL INFORMATION (continued...)

14.4 Volts (Boost Mode)

Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 8 hours. The battery

reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.

13.6 Volts (Normal Mode)

Required 40 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78 hours to

reach full charge.

13.2 Volts (Storage Mode)

Required 60 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 100 hours to

reach full charge.

The integrated intelligent microprocessors ability to change the output voltage of the converter will

significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to recharge your battery. The lower voltage for Storage

mode prevents gassing and reduces water loss during long-term storage.

GENERAL OPERATION

The Kinetik Intelligent Power Converters will supply “clean” nominal 13.6 VDC

(Normal Mode) power from input voltages that range from 90-130 VAC.

The Kinetik Intelligent Power Converters are primarily designed for use with a

battery, however, the output of the Kinetik converters are a regulated, filtered

D.C. voltage that can power sensitive electronics without the need for a battery or

other filtering.

NOTICE

At normal input voltages the full load rated capacity is available. At input voltages

less than 105 VAC the converter may not supply full rated output capacity.

The full rated load is available for load, battery charging or both. When functioning as a regulated

battery charger, the Kinetik converters have a nominal voltage output of 13.6 VDC. The system was

designed to sense voltage on the battery and automatically selects one of 4 operating modes (normal,

boost, storage and desulfation/equalization) to provide the correct charge level to the batteries.

NORMAL MODE: Output voltage set at 13.6 volts DC. This voltage provides

good charging rates and low water usage.

BOOST MODE: If the converter senses that the battery voltage has dropped

below a preset level the output voltage is increased to 14.4 volts DC to rapidly

recharge the batteries.STORAGE MODE: When the converter senses that there has been no significant

battery usage for approximately 30 hours the output voltage is reduced to

13.2 volts DC for minimal water usage.

DESULFATION/EUALIZATION MODE: When in storage mode the microprocessor

automatically increases the output voltage to 14.4 volts for 15 minutes every

21 hours to reduce the buildup of sulfation on the battery plates."

14.4 Volts (Boost Mode)

Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 8 hours. The battery

reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.

13.6 Volts (Normal Mode)

Required 40 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78 hours to

reach full charge.

Reading is fundamental. "Full charge in 78 hours" Sure, you could park your car for 3+ days a week to bring the batteries up...

Those charge cycles represent battery usage in a dead loss application like a trolling motor, where the battery is depleted then recharged completely. In that sort of application a long slow charge is just fine.

What Chris is saying is that the Kinetik batteries will take a higher voltage over a shorter period of time just fine. ALL batteries release some gas while charging. AGM batteries are "Recombinant", which means that they are designed to re-combine the liberated hydrogen & oxygen into water, and return it to the cell. Gassing during charging is normal, and as long as you keep the charge rate below 1/5c, everything should be fine.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Reading is fundamental. "Full charge in 78 hours" Sure, you could park your car for 3+ days a week to bring the batteries up...

Those charge cycles represent battery usage in a dead loss application like a trolling motor, where the battery is depleted then recharged completely. In that sort of application a long slow charge is just fine.

What Chris is saying is that the Kinetik batteries will take a higher voltage over a shorter period of time just fine. ALL batteries release some gas while charging. AGM batteries are "Recombinant", which means that they are designed to re-combine the liberated hydrogen & oxygen into water, and return it to the cell. Gassing during charging is normal, and as long as you keep the charge rate below 1/5c, everything should be fine.

'Link

I agree with the theory of your statement in that time is a part of the equation, but you are proving my point with your own statement:

Yes AGM batteries are recombinant, but the liberated gasses need to be INSIDE the case of the battery to recombine. The hissing noise that your hear when an AGM battery is gassing, is those gasses escaping out the case's one-way vent valve, never to return. Go through enough charging cycles that way, and much of your electrolyte (and battery capacity) has flown the coop.

I'm not saying that you can't whack an AGM battery with 15.8 volts for a few minutes without damaging it, but charging a 12V battery on the 16V setting ABSOLUTELY will provide a balloon like battery case and a 65lb paperweight. I've personally seen it occur from accidentally setting it on 16V mode many times.

And you're right, reading is fundamental, it says 8 hours from full discharge to full charge at 14.5 "boost" mode. (not 72 hours) I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, I'm sure you do charge your batteries at a higher rate, but you might be surprised how much of your battery capacity may have been lost, depending on charge tempurature and duration of charging at that voltage/amperage. Not to mention, if I recal you have quite a number of batteries in your vehicle, which is going to spread out the 300 amps of charge current amongst all of them. I am merely speaking from personal expieriece of what gets brought back to me for warranty and why. I've had numerous conversations with Scotty Johnson, head of engineering at Powermaster batteries, and he has provided me with a wealth of information, all sourced from reputable publications within the battery industry. You could call up Rich at Kinetik, and I'm sure he would advise you not to charge Kinetik batteries above 15 volts (for more than a few minutes) either.

"mechy "And you're right, reading is fundamental, it says 8 hours from full discharge to full charge at 14.5

I posted put them on the 16v cycle for 5 hours a few times. What is really stupid is who likes to charge their batts for 8 hours all the time. By running your alt at the fluctuating 14.8/15/15.2 volts it will let you see a fuller charge in normal driving hours. After all with gas prices who drives their car for 6/7/8 hours at 13.8volts with no load to charge to full. NO ONE I know. So little higher voltage faster charge wow what a concept. We do not have to convince you we have posts , pics and testimonials on quite a few forums so believe us or not no biggie. We have been here for members who have questions and need truthfull answers not just to spam a product. Yes you sell power master so piss on kinetic we get it!!!

"mechy" You could call up Rich at Kinetic, and I'm sure he would advise you not to charge Kinetic batteries above 15 volts (for more than a few minutes) either.

OH mechy, Next time you call kinetic talk to Eric Harbor. All this topic was for , is the guy wanted to charge his batteries full.

Sorry this topic has became so "short bus" guys, but it is really entertaining for us since we (MLA) are clearly dumb-asses in this world of frickin geniuses.

Sorry for the whos dicks bigger BS , but we need a little laugh from time to time too. :D

All of us at MLA.

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg