Sundown Audio

Need More Ampage?

ChiefDankBud

I have an Alpine reciever and the only problem is i cannot get the volume past 20. I do not have an amp on my door speakers, but that really isnt the issue because it is the sub that messes up. I usually keep max volume at 17 with Bass -7 Subwoofer +14 and Treble +7. But if i turn everything to 0 and try goin past 20-22 the subwoofer fucks up. The reciever goes up to 35 but do i need more power on the sub or the speakers?

2003 Pontiac Vibe Dark Red

18" Motegi MR-7's

2 Alpine Type-R 6.5" Coaxial Speakers on the front doors

Alpine CDA Head Unit w/IPod Cable

Alpine V-Power mono mr650

12" Alpine Type-R(2 Ohm) Subwoofer

Dynamat in the trunk with the liscense plate and,

2 Stock tweaters in the front, with the stock speakers in the back seats

What do you mean, "the subwoofer fucks up."?

It distorts? Cuts out?

Sorry, my magic crystal ball's in the shop. LOL.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

try setting up the gains on the amp for the sub...if like you say when you turn it up over past what 20 the subs "fucks up"...then adjust the gains...so the sub wont distort or "fucks up"....that could work too...but be more specific..that dont really help us out thoug bro..

alpines are notorious for having a clipped signal at 22-24 out of 35....

35*75%=26.25 so i cant imagine it can handle more the 26

for alpine decks i turn sub # to 15.... leave bass at 0.... set gain at volume #23... seems to work fine so far

what model alpine

what sub

what amp

what electrical

remember... ur sub is stupid and just does what its told so its likely its the amp/weak electrical/clipped signal causing the problem

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

r u serious... alpines dont clip... not in my experience... those with 2v preouts do

i dealt with the iv310... i think thats the model... 7" flip out touch panel dvd.... only 2v preout which was only achieved at +15 sub level on deck and volume 23 before clipping...... not to mention the mids/highs break up at 24

the only decks ive heard that can be turned up all the way without clipping are rf decks... which are hard to find

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
What do you mean, "the subwoofer fucks up."?

It distorts? Cuts out?

Sorry, my magic crystal ball's in the shop. LOL.

It cuts out, like when you go from 20 to 21 its volume distorts so bad its not even loud.

try setting up the gains on the amp for the sub...if like you say when you turn it up over past what 20 the subs "fucks up"...then adjust the gains...so the sub wont distort or "fucks up"....that could work too...but be more specific..that dont really help us out thoug bro..

Right now I have the amp set at 80hz, DB boost is centered, Gain all the way, and i keep my max volume at 17 with the EQ settings I said above. I have tried putting all the settings to minimal to get the volume past 20 and it still cuts out, im thinking its more because I dont have an amplifier on the door speakers. It was installed by ABT and the wiring is deff not the issue.

2003 Pontiac Vibe Dark Red

18" Motegi MR-7's

2 Alpine Type-R 6.5" Coaxial Speakers on the front doors

Alpine CDA Head Unit w/IPod Cable

Alpine V-Power mono mr650

12" Alpine Type-R(2 Ohm) Subwoofer

Dynamat in the trunk with the liscense plate and,

2 Stock tweaters in the front, with the stock speakers in the back seats

It cuts out, like when you go from 20 to 21 its volume distorts so bad its not even loud.

Right now I have the amp set at 80hz, DB boost is centered, Gain all the way, and i keep my max volume at 17 with the EQ settings I said above. I have tried putting all the settings to minimal to get the volume past 20 and it still cuts out, im thinking its more because I dont have an amplifier on the door speakers. It was installed by ABT and the wiring is deff not the issue.

well then you need a BIGGER amp and a BIGGER POWERFUL SUB..i guess that sub you have right now aint that loud for you anymore...but i dont get it...if you adjusted the gains from your amp for the sub that should of worked...my homie had the same problem..we checked it out and adjusted the gains from the amp and now he turns it up all the way up...full volume and the subs dont "fuck up" or cuts out...

The highest I go with the volume is 27 for me on my alpine. That's about 75% from 35. I stay under10 on the sub volume from deck so when those low recorded songs play I can turn that up while maintaining 27 regular volume. it also works as a good demo boost cuz at 27 its loud already then, I can go up to 15 sub volume for a ground & pound session.

You deffinately need an amp for the highs too

Edited by Earthman

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png