Mrbubbles00482 Posted October 8, 2008 Report Posted October 8, 2008 I've been looking at the 512 for a while now and I was wondering if anyone had any input on it. Its the only single din flip out I can run because of my dash, any other flip out will hit the dash when coming out. Other options would be a double din. any suggestions?
audiofanaticz Posted October 14, 2008 Report Posted October 14, 2008 I would stay away from it. I run a KVT-617DVD, the KVT-512 is this years replacement to my headunit. Where as the 512 unit moves away from the external brain box which is nice I see major flaws with it for the newer upgraded model. ~The 617dvd offers 3 sets of 5 volt rca outputs (front, rear, sub). The 512 only offers 2 sets of 2 volt outputs (front, rear/which is selectable for sub or rear) ~The 512 does not come with a remote control, it needs to be bought separate. Im a db drag competitor, I need a remote, and when I can buy a cheaper screen and get a remote with more features it is a disappointment. ~The 617 offers a on board 3 way active crossover, where as the 512 offers none. ~The 617 offers a detachable faceplate for added theft protection, the 512 does not. ~The 617 offers 2 sets of audio/video inputs, where as the 512 offers only 1 set. ~The 617 offers a rear camera input, and from what ive read the 512 does not. Flaws on both units Ive observed. ~ The back lighted keys are hard to see, even at night, not that it matters since it is a flip out screen, but when your screen is retracted it is still hard to see what key is what. ~ From the 512 that I messed with at bestbuy, when playing a mp3 disc, the unit is VERY SLOW skipping forward and reverse on tracks, my 617 is the same way, and going from a alpine to the kenwood was a hard change for me because of this. My alpine skipped tracks as fast as you hit the buttons, the kenwood you can hit the button 3 or 4 times before the track skips to the next and is playing. My kenwood has stopped working, it is being warrentied by kenwood right now, and they said if they cant fix it they will give me the newer model. Which I told them I would not want due to the lack of features that I need listed above. There are so many features that I am using and needing that if I got the newer model back, Id have to run RCA cables from front to back (since my old unit had the brain box in my trunk), Id have to run Y splitters to run a 4 channel amp and a sub amp, and maybe possibly a line driver. Id have to buy a remote. Just to much messing around. This is the next model i could get buy with and Id still end up having to run RCA's front to back. If you can squeeze a double din in your car maybe youd like this one better. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12049_...od+DDX712.html#
Shyne151 Posted October 14, 2008 Report Posted October 14, 2008 I would stay away from it. I run a KVT-617DVD, the KVT-512 is this years replacement to my headunit. Where as the 512 unit moves away from the external brain box which is nice I see major flaws with it for the newer upgraded model. ~The 617dvd offers 3 sets of 5 volt rca outputs (front, rear, sub). The 512 only offers 2 sets of 2 volt outputs (front, rear/which is selectable for sub or rear) ~The 512 does not come with a remote control, it needs to be bought separate. Im a db drag competitor, I need a remote, and when I can buy a cheaper screen and get a remote with more features it is a disappointment. ~The 617 offers a on board 3 way active crossover, where as the 512 offers none. ~The 617 offers a detachable faceplate for added theft protection, the 512 does not. ~The 617 offers 2 sets of audio/video inputs, where as the 512 offers only 1 set. ~The 617 offers a rear camera input, and from what ive read the 512 does not. audiofanaticz basically hit every point i was going to say dead nuts. The fact that you have to either select rear or sub... and no dedicated support for both is absolute bull shit... there is definitely no remote that comes with it... and i believe they want at least $20 for a remote. One set of video inputs is a problem that we have been running into alot latey... useing switching boxes is not cool... it's not 1995 anymore... The only thing i think he is wrong about is that it does have a rear camera input... it does have support for the rear camera input... but it wants you to use your AV-in for it. You said you can do a double din... i'd check out the DDX812, that is the eXcelon double din... addresses basically all the faults we listed... and it has dedicated relay control outputs... so you could say turn on/off neons, open your garage door, or turn on/off foglights straight from the radio! -Installer for Duke's Car Stereo 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune. RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4 Boston Acoustics SPG 555 Kenwood eXcelon 995 RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000
audiofanaticz Posted October 14, 2008 Report Posted October 14, 2008 One set of video inputs is a problem that we have been running into alot latey... useing switching boxes is not cool... it's not 1995 anymore... The only thing i think he is wrong about is that it does have a rear camera input... it does have support for the rear camera input... but it wants you to use your AV-in for it. the 1995 part is funny! You made me laugh, but its so true, comming from a newer headunit that is used to replace a older one, but yet the newer one cant campair to the old one at all. lol Yea, of coarse you can use the one and only set of audio/video input for a rear camera, you can do it on any deck that has audio/video inputs. But my problem is using up that one and only input for just a video feed from a camera, when the old unit had its own dedicated port for the camera + 2 additional sets of audio/video inputs, if you catch my drift. I only paid like $350 for my kenwood kvt-617 from best buy bnib, but it seems like it was a pricey unit at one time, considering people on ebay are still selling them new for $600+ on ebay. If I wouldnt of got the last years model closeout price on the unit, I totally would not of bought it because the features just are not there, (mainly the slow mp3 read time) Drives me very nuts when your in the lane having to get your song ready. My main thing was I wanted another screen again really bad, the last screen I had was a good 8+ years ago, and it was just an Eclipse am/fm 6 inch fold out (with no cd player), had to be used with a external changer, so I bought the eclipse indash 6disc changer to go with it.
Mrbubbles00482 Posted October 14, 2008 Author Report Posted October 14, 2008 Thanks for the input guys. I kinda decided that I don't really need any video or nothing like that so I've been looking at some panasonic and pioneer units, with 5 volt and 4 volt pre-outs.
audiofanaticz Posted October 14, 2008 Report Posted October 14, 2008 Thanks for the input guys. I kinda decided that I don't really need any video or nothing like that so I've been looking at some panasonic and pioneer units, with 5 volt and 4 volt pre-outs. Im pretty sure you should be able to run almost any type of fold out man. I guess the best advice for you is to goto a few shops, and play with the headunits they got there. You will find that most of the flip outs will have a tilt adjustment for the screen, and some even go a step farther with how far the main mechanism that slides in and out goes, so that if your dash hangs over which would make the screen hit it, you can set it to stay out a tad farther. I had a clearance issue with my overhang of my top dashboard problem being in the way of my screen, and where my radio mounts it is even farther back then being flush with the rest of the dash. You can kinda see my dash contour here how it is in the way of the screen, but with the adjustments I was able to avoid any sorts of collisions
Mrbubbles00482 Posted October 19, 2008 Author Report Posted October 19, 2008 Well I got a new head unit. Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT 250 out the door =] I thought this was a steal considering the DEH-P6000UB goes for 250 at bestbuy and its a couple of steps down from the 980BT Got the unit from a local pawn shop, came with everything in the box except the manual, remote and trim piece, which I can order from pioneer's parts website so its all good. The unit works perfectly and has everything I need so I'm set =]
GORILLAslap Posted October 24, 2008 Report Posted October 24, 2008 Well I got a new head unit. Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT 250 out the door =] I thought this was a steal considering the DEH-P6000UB goes for 250 at bestbuy and its a couple of steps down from the 980BT Got the unit from a local pawn shop, came with everything in the box except the manual, remote and trim piece, which I can order from pioneer's parts website so its all good. The unit works perfectly and has everything I need so I'm set =] you say it was at best buy for 250?? so why did u buy it from a pawn shop for 250?? everything i had ever bought from a pawn shop lasted a lil under a year ive bought it all tvs, door speakers, sub enclosures,decks,portable dvd and it all would last me a little under a year :censored: and speakin of that my tv JUST went out last weeknd my surround sound still is making noise but my tv has no picture but i got a hell of a deal for it an i thought i had robbed them at the time but from now on im never buyin ANYTHING from a pawn shop...... but tell me how long it goes without a prob starting fresh, chrysler 300.. no subs amp nothin I NEED HELP looking to purchase saz-1500d and 15" 1000rms subREFS- feedback/refs.. click!
Mrbubbles00482 Posted October 25, 2008 Author Report Posted October 25, 2008 I got the 980BT for 250... the 6000ub retails for 250 at bestbuy...which is like 5 units under the 980BT Better comparison, the 980BT retails for 570 or something like that on bestbuy.com and I got it for 250
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.