Second Skin Audio

Lowering Sub Impedance?

Actually there is a way to do so. You will need to find a vintage piece of equiptment made by Stiger called an Acumatch. This was something that allowed you to dial in the "dummy" impedence to get the desired load that you wanted at your amp. I never used one but back in '98 I had a sales guy at the local shop trying to sell me some to get my amps down to 1 ohm where they would put out max power. I bet that they are almost impossible to find, but if you look hard enough you may come accross one. Otherwise you can use a JL amp that puts out the same power from 1.5-4 ohms. That would be your only other choice.

Do they look like big transformers?

My friend has about 20 of these things on his shelf. I was being noisy in the back room a few weeks back. I had no idea what they where and he explained them to me. They look like a power supply transformer from a home stereo, got 6-8 wires and theres different sizes for different power ratings. I think the biggest ones he had where for 1200 watts (think he said they where the biggest made at the time) but now if you had a dvc sub you could run one per coil (which is what he did) but back in the day when he was setting world records he wasnt using that much power. I should of took some like he told me too.

Its cool having a old sponsered competitor that has a shop. You can find so many oldies but goodies in his shop its not even funny. Old denon decks, bnib yup he gots them. Lol

They look almost idenical to these if its what Im thinking what your thinking im thinking or something

audio-transformer.jpg

yup, I was correct, they are what I seen hiding in the back.

I got:

5 1200 watt accumatchs.

4 500 watt accumatchs.

2 100 watt accumatchs (these are great for compresion drivers)

Thats all I could find right away, but theres more someplace in the shop.

I guess you can wire 2 together to allow more power handling.

If you wanted to go this route, make an offer.

10-24-08_1034.jpg

10-24-08_1031.jpg

10-24-08_1032.jpg

10-24-08_1033.jpg