How I Solder 0/1 Gauge Wire

Maybe a dumb question. Using this method will be as strong if not stronger then crimping? A tool to crimp 2/0 is unreal priced...

My First Build on SMD (Blow Through)

2004 Ford F-350 SD Lariat

Pioneer 3200BT DVD Deck

Infinity Reference Components not powered

Bully Dog Gauge Cluster Pyro, Turbo, Trans

SF3 SCT Tuner W/Customs

If you can't Join em' Crush em'

• 6 months later...

Is there a way to get the burn mark off the terminal?

Nice vid by the way :)

I just used a wire brush on a drill

1996 Buick Lesabre Limited - 2 Fi Q 12's, 5ft^3 slot ported box tuned to 30hz, MMATS 3000.1, JL G4500, 5.25" Polk momo comps, cheap 6x9's (rear fill), Pioneer DEH-P8300UB, Knu wiring throughout, Big 3 all 1/0, stock alt, stock batt, Deka 8a31 in the trunk

---Now gone to the younger brother, and all the equipment is sitting in my garage.

96 Buick Lesabre Build Log

Maybe a dumb question. Using this method will be as strong if not stronger then crimping? A tool to crimp 2/0 is unreal priced...

Soldered connections are infinitely stronger than crimped connections. Ive had crimped connections come loose. I recently re-did all my connections with soldered terminals. When I went to take the crimped connectors off, I could just pull them right off.

And also, you dont necessarily need rosin core solder. I just but a nice glob of flux on the top of mine and then use just regular no core solder. works fine

1996 Buick Lesabre Limited - 2 Fi Q 12's, 5ft^3 slot ported box tuned to 30hz, MMATS 3000.1, JL G4500, 5.25" Polk momo comps, cheap 6x9's (rear fill), Pioneer DEH-P8300UB, Knu wiring throughout, Big 3 all 1/0, stock alt, stock batt, Deka 8a31 in the trunk

---Now gone to the younger brother, and all the equipment is sitting in my garage.

96 Buick Lesabre Build Log

• 2 months later...

what are the advantages of having it soldered as opposed to not having it soldered? is it just that they hold and look better? is the electrical flow better?

Yes to all the above! See, when you crimp, you are smashing wires, which will weaken the entire cable. This is how you get floppy connections. Soldering is a more professional way to do attach terminals. It obviously looks better too. As far as electrical flow goes, when electricity runs though any kind of medium (ie. power cable, speaker wire, car chassis, your Cat5 cable to your computer) it actually flows closer to the surface of the medium. The term for this is called "skin effect". It involves AC current, the higher the frequency the closer the current travels to the "skin of the wire". This is why bigger wire allows for more current. (because it has more surface area, not volume) When you solder these terminals on you are allowing for full contact of the inside that terminal to the outside for that wire. This is actually why terminals connect only to the outside of the cable, and don't mesh into it(and production cost is a lot cheaper). Theoretically you don't really even have to solder the middle, but you need to, to get the solder all the way down into the terminal.

I know I got really in depth, but I think all the extra info is good to know. So, in a nutshell YES, YES, and YES. Hope I was of some assistance.

Best of Luck and Cheers!

There is a point of diminishing returns on the amount of equipment installed, kinda like throwing money out a window.

what are the advantages of having it soldered as opposed to not having it soldered? is it just that they hold and look better? is the electrical flow better?

Yes to all the above! See, when you crimp, you are smashing wires, which will weaken the entire cable. This is how you get floppy connections. Soldering is a more professional way to do attach terminals. It obviously looks better too. As far as electrical flow goes, when electricity runs though any kind of medium (ie. power cable, speaker wire, car chassis, your Cat5 cable to your computer) it actually flows closer to the surface of the medium. The term for this is called "skin effect". It primarily involves AC current but does slightly effect DC current. This is why bigger wire allows for more current. (because it has more surface area, not volume) When you solder these terminals on you are allowing for full contact of the inside that terminal to the outside for that wire. This is actually why terminals connect only to the outside of the cable, and don't mesh into it. Theoretically you don't really even have to solder the middle, but you need to, to get the solder all the way down into the terminal.

I know I got really in depth, but I think all the extra info is good to know. So, in a nutshell YES, YES, and YES. Hope I was of some assistance.

lol, good one!

I reckon I'll stick with my crimp terminals.

22072834.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived