Alternator Diodes

Hey guys, I tested my alternator at the local high school and it reported that the diodes in my alternator are bad...

Does this mean it's gonna give out soon? I can bump without any problems most of the time...but one day after booming to lunch and back with the AC on my car died. I had a quick jump with me, so I just started it back up and haven't had any problems since. But today I was playing some music with the sub up all the way for about 20 minutes and when I went to drive away I noticed my battery light was on. I just shut everything off and drove aroung for 15 minutes or so. The battery light shut off, but is my alternator about shot?

(1)Fi BTL 15

(1)AQ 2200d

4.33 Cubes~33hz

Big Three done

XS 1200 in the back

Hey guys, I tested my alternator at the local high school and it reported that the diodes in my alternator are bad...

Does this mean it's gonna give out soon? I can bump without any problems most of the time...but one day after booming to lunch and back with the AC on my car died. I had a quick jump with me, so I just started it back up and haven't had any problems since. But today I was playing some music with the sub up all the way for about 20 minutes and when I went to drive away I noticed my battery light was on. I just shut everything off and drove aroung for 15 minutes or so. The battery light shut off, but is my alternator about shot?

If all of your diodes were bad, you would have no output. What more than likely has occured, is a single diode failure, or loss of one leg of the stator. Most alternators have 3 "legs" of the stator, so if you loose one, it costs you about 1/3 of your output. It also places an un-even load on the alternator which can cause a "growling" sound, and even bearing failure from the uneven load.

Plan on replacing your alternator, or if you are really adventurous, you can try replacing the rectifier assymbly yourself.

Archived