Second Skin Audio

All Whacked Over T-lines Now !

I freaking hate it when this happens.... I get all spun out over a subject (not much different than a freaking crank head, except no actual drugs involved. Doh !) and my mind starts working so damn hard that two things happen....

1) I have a really hard time focusing on any other important thing in life (effn AADD, I swear :-(

2) Most people don't want to think hard enough to try and follow me (effn human nature :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So anyway, I'll try to keep this fun....

This is a pretty cool page... and look ! It has pictures too ! :-)

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/subs/subs.html#cabinets

So, this guy is using two subs, with a single pipe, however, these "are not" set up in a push/pull configuration (like I'm considering) hence the reason this guy is using a 12" tube, for two 10" subs. 12" PVC would definately be rigid as $#!+... but more expensive, and harder to work with, than sono tube...

So you wanna' see something "really outrageous" ?

Check the Legend of El Pipo :-) This looks fun {granted your stereo vehicle would have to be a UPS truck :-)

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/el-pipe-o.pdf (sorry it's a pdf... the html page is cashed, and doesn't show photos)

I know their used to be another page, that talked more about how crazy the bass output of this setup was, when they used it in a warehouse for a rave party.... But can't find it now. Sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm. So both of these are for home use. Both use damping material. I found the quote "stuff to taste" interesting.

It's also nice that SonoTube is cheap, easy to work with, and easy to obtain.

This brings me to my current brainstorm > A 12" diameter Sono Tube close to 5ft long, then a very tight "u-turn" formed by several wedge shaped slices of the same SonoTube, then 5 ft more SonoTube. A little glass, and resin. Doesn't sound real hard to me. Pretty cheap too, and can be finished however you want it. Line-X might be kind of cool :-)

So, 12" dia. x 10 feet should get the tuning down in the range of 30Hz.....

But I'm still trying to figure out if I can use my two 12"s at one end of my u-turn T-line, in a face to face (push-pull) configuration ? ......and how that would affect the outcome ? If not, then I wish I'd have bought just one, higher powered, pro sub, instead of two more modest ones.

Now the question is, will anybody want to think hard enough to respond to this ???

Forevrbumpn ? Jhmeg2 ? Anyone ?

Peace,

Fish

PS, A test enclosure (can we call it a "test tube" ? Doh ! :-) ...would be really cheap and easy, because of course you wouldn't need to put a u-turn bend in it, or finish it, to test it in a shop. Just figure a good way to attach your sub(s) to one end, and play with it.... maybe stuff it.... maybe lengthen, or shorten it... and when you get it just right, put a u-turn in it, finish it, slap that baby in the vehicle, and start rolling.....

Edited by Fish Chris

Car audio application ~0

Home application ~0 .... Doesn't suit the the de'core... lol

Cool concept! But ya gotta look at practicallity!

Edited by Eskii

australia03junehl4.gif

Previous: 1988 Nissan Patrol

Rockford T800.4

Rockford T1 15 (sealed)

Rockford 6.5 Components

Current: 1997 Jeep Wrangler

Build goals...

1x RF P300.2

4x Hertz HCX165's

Built Completes :)

Alpine 9886 Headunit

RF P300.2

RF P500-1bd

2x RF P2-D2 8" Subs, 1.3 cubes @39.5Hz

4x Hertz HCX130's

Current comment...

Satisfied for the moment, focusing on performance upgrades

Car audio application ~0

Home application ~0 .... Doesn't suit the the de'core... lol

Cool concept! But ya gotta look at practicallity!

Man, if practicallity ever entered any of our heads this site would not exist and we would all be drooling over our High-FI 8 track players!lol

Guess so. Probs best to say that you'd consider something like dis if it suits ya application aye :)

It's be coolin a quad blow through in a pick-up or something like that!!! lol

australia03junehl4.gif

Previous: 1988 Nissan Patrol

Rockford T800.4

Rockford T1 15 (sealed)

Rockford 6.5 Components

Current: 1997 Jeep Wrangler

Build goals...

1x RF P300.2

4x Hertz HCX165's

Built Completes :)

Alpine 9886 Headunit

RF P300.2

RF P500-1bd

2x RF P2-D2 8" Subs, 1.3 cubes @39.5Hz

4x Hertz HCX130's

Current comment...

Satisfied for the moment, focusing on performance upgrades

if practicallity ever entered any of our heads this site would not exist

I couldn't agree more !

....and the reason I said > 5 ft of 12" diameter, then a tight u-turn, then 5 feet back the other way < is because this should quite easily fit against the back wall of my F150 supercab.

As for a quad blow-through.... Yea', that would be cool, but 1) I'm not going to start chopping on a brand spanking new truck, and 2) I already have two 12"s..... Now, if my truck were 5 years old, and I had 4 or 6 15"s laying around....

Besides Eskii, you would have to know how I think; I hate to follow the crowd. To me, oddball stuff like a t-line in a vehicle is a very atractive idea.

I know their are at least a few guys on this forum who "LOVE" t-lines.

Hoping to hear from them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, one of my only concerns about t-lines, is that while on the one hand, they seem so simple to build (especially the SonoTube type) at the same time, they seem really tricky to model / predict......

Hmmmm,

Fish

Hey Airborne, earlier you said > if I could figure out how to build my own crossover.... <

Nearly all new HU's, and lots of the better amps have adjustable low pass x-overs, that should work just fine with a t-line setup, just as they would, with any other subwoofer setup.

I'm just not sure why this would be an inpass for you ?

Hmmm,

Peace,

Fish

Man, just try it Fish, like I said in the "Tutorial" I never personally ran 2 subs in a iso T-line only box, But I have ran then in the bandpass designs, and I haven't heard a lot of boxes to sound better with the same out put as that design

The only thing I could think of, is the box Q would narrow out, more of constant at tuning, over a wider SQ sound

I have seen both of those websites many times, and those MCM 21" subs were a dream woofer of mine for the past 10 years. No one makes that one any more, and for the price MCM sold it for, it was damn good selling mark

Another design, more based on SQ over boomy bass that tlines put out, is a dual sub set up, but you build it based on a single tline

The trick was to space the second woofer 1/5th the way down the line from the first sub

which ends up being only a few inches from frame to frame

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.