Sonic Electronix

So my friend gives me a call yesterday saying that he went and lowered the volume on his Hu or paused it (doesn't remember which one).

When he went to go put it back up the subs just went out...They didn't blow, smoke or nothing.

Calls me and explains things to me so I tell him to check the amp and see if it's lit green (good) and it was.

So I tell him i'll take a look at it later tonight (before we went out with some friends).

He turns it on, amp turns on fine, every thing plays fine except the subs. Subs don't play...I push them in and they move in & out fine. They were make a little vibrating noise (so i began to worry), the noise isn't all that loud, nothing noticeable unless your right next to the subs.

He also told me that the subs would go on and off...He turned his car off and played his system with me on the phone and it was playing fine. Now it doesn't want to play.

I'm going to go check out all the wiring later today but does any one have any idea what it could be?

Car- 99 Durango

Subs- Two 15" L5s

Amp- PA a3000db

ya id check for a short... try hooking the amp to speakers or whatevers laying around with a short run of speaker wire...have the volume low and if it plays then your speaker wire is probably shorting... if not check rcas

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

lol if its a problem with the hu itself it wont be easy to fix... maybe its a setting on the hu thou (never thought of that but i guess it could happen).

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

sound like the sub output went out on the headunit honestly, just take the amp out or subs and test them on your system. process of elimination FTW

Would but I don't have any amps right now to do that with.

I'm really hoping it has some thing to do with the HU...that way it's no work for me and it's no money to spend for my friend.

I wouldn't doubt it's the sub output that went out...It's a pos Dual radio and he already had to return it once because of a problem it had.

sound like the sub output went out on the headunit honestly, just take the amp out or subs and test them on your system. process of elimination FTW

Would but I don't have any amps right now to do that with.

I'm really hoping it has some thing to do with the HU...that way it's no work for me and it's no money to spend for my friend.

I wouldn't doubt it's the sub output that went out...It's a pos Dual radio and he already had to return it once because of a problem it had.

you dont need an amp to check his amp, free air one of those BEE TEE ELLs on his amp its not gonna hurt it. then at least you know its not the amp, then hook one of his subs direct to the amp if the amp works bypassing the box wireing.  if that doesnt work theres plenty of things to try

Yeah I was thinking about connecting the BTLs...If the same shit happens im pretty sure it's the HU.

Told my friend what you said and he's thinking about taking it to the shop that he bought the radio and got it installed and telling them another shop checked every thing and said that the sub output is messed up.

so if your pretty sure the subs outs are gone then why dont you try running the amp off of the fronts or rear (assuming they are rca) or high level outputs