Not trying to start a war here, cause I know some of you guys have them, but is it illegal to replace an airbag steering wheel with an aftermarket wheel w/o airbag???

Yes, I am aware of the safety concerns, and looking at a $400 factory leather/carbon fiber insert wheel for my PT is kinda expensive!

Just curious.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

In maryland it IS illegal to compromise or modify any safety systems if the car was orginally designed for use with them .. im not sure what state ur in but i can see it being illegal in any state ... i guess if u can pull it off with with not being caught in an inpecction ( if ur state requires one to be done either before purchase or every few yrs ) then u can pull it off ...but u never know when it could sav ur life to pound another day bud..

edit .. ull also have to deal with the srs light on the dash if u disable the system

Edited by jonnylowkon

250 amp mechman alt

Sundown 100.4D

Sundown 1500v2 now goin to the cruze

Sundown ZV3 12d2

Sundown sa6.5cs X2

Kenwood X597

Trying something new

2011 Chevy Cruze

X8

1500v2

to get rid of the srs or airbag light all you need to do i s add a resistor

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

i asked my dad he was a sheriff for almost 30 years and i asked my wife who is a insurance agent. they both researched and yes it is illegal to remove or modify ANY sfety equiptment from a vehicle while it is still registered and used daily. but, the rule of if the cop/state referee wants to be a prick. in ohio it is highly illegal but 9 times out of 10 they let it go as long as you have a legit adapter. i have never gotten a ticket when i had my civic and accord with momo wheels.

----reference's----

meade916

• 1 month later...

I had my local mechanic take out the airbag for me cuz i dont like the possibility of having an airbag blow up in my face! They inspect it every year. They did break 70 dollars worth of trim when they did so, but i didnt complain, because i prefer to be able to get inspected. I have had my walnut wood wheel for around a year now with no problems. It makes a huge difference in the way your car/truck handles so pick out a wheel thats quality and comfortablewhen you get it, because the difference between wheels is big!

• 3 weeks later...

AFederal Law prohibits the removal of any standard safety feature in a car.

Airbags have saved my life twice already.

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

• 1 month later...

haha air bags dont feel too good. it still didnt stop me from breaking the windshield with my head. well the reverse mirror and windshield. what kinda of wheel are you looking into? post pics mannn

And far as the best connection ever.......

get a huge fucking battery, cut the top off, drop an alt in there and then pour all that into your big amplifier. or just smelt them all together.