Second Skin Audio

Sound Quality L7 Or Btl?

first and for most glad to be apart of the board! :yahoo: now ive been doing alot of reading on this forum for the past 2 weeks so im not just going out on a limb. i know these two speakers are far from sq/sql subs but i like alot of bass but i want it to sound somewhat clear when doing so as it is my daily driver. Reason why i picked the L7 for my comparison is because 2 15inch L7s with 1.88cu.ft per sealed chamber are probably the only woofers ive heard personaly that will fall close to an spl setup. The sound quality was tolerable and i was wondering if the a fully loaded 15" BTL would fall in the same SQ range as the L7?

im located in los angeles and i dont know of any dealers that carry this BTL so i can actually hear it for myself? I want to go loud but for it to sound good while doing it and not just bass drowning my ears with no detail. thanks in advance :help:

I have previously owned a 15" L7, and personally, I liked the way it sounded. Now I wouldn't try to compare it to what you heard... a sealed application for an L7 being less than 2 cubic feet probably sounded like absolute crap if my guess would be anywhere the way it really is. Although I have never heard a btl, im sure it would be better in a head to head competition depending on what you like.

Now just so we realize we are comparing apples to oranges here... remember the price difference between the two. you can get an L7 for $2xx last I checked, while a btl is around the mid $400's depending on options.

Always remember though that the way any sub sounds depends a large amount on the box you put it in. With a good box you can make a mediocre sub sound nice, and an awesome sub sound like complete crap.

Wait, you consider 2 15" L7's in a SEALED set-up is for SPL???

no, what i meant by that is my personal experience with subs i would rank the L7's the CLOSEST to an spl setup being that they are the probably the loudest that i had the chance to hear. i know its apples to oranges but not quite what i, trying to get into.

point is i know some subs arent to high in the SQ catergory ie: L7 and btl (only thing im comparing is sq here) The L7 isnt really horrible sounding to me so if the btl has the same or better quality then i dont mine. I understand it all depends on the enclosure and everything else but certaint subs have traits before hand...like a q series is sq while bl/btl is considered spl....now on the sound quality side of the spl speakers i was asking if those two (L7&BTL) are close in that sense not in loudness/db's

fyi= considering putting the BTL in a ported 4.5cube box

i would say the Q and the L7 are a more fair competition. the Q has crezy SQ and still gets really loud. i think that the Q would still be louder than the L7 imo.

What is the Q rated at? I still say the L7 could get louder. (More cone area) But again, its all in the enclosure/build.

Derp.