Sonic Electronix

I know what hertz are, but WTF are octaves ? ......and does it matter if your box is tuned to a particular octave ?

I saw it mentioned once, where it was okay to use like a 12" and a 15" subwoofer, if they were crossed over correctly, and the 12" grabbed 1 particular octave, and the 15" grabbed the next octave down. {not that I'm considering this, but just to make the point of this post clear}

The thing is though, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to "octaves" and furthermore, every box building program I've ever seen, tells you how to adjust the tuning frequency in hertz (Hz) not in octaves ?

Please teach me whats up with this.... And most importantly, I guess, is tuning to a particular octave important ?

Thanks,

Fish

usually doubling of a certain frequency

25hz- 50hz- 100hz- 200hz- 400hz- 800hz

just an example

Usually cars/trucks, have a resonance frequency, and also that frequency magnifies when the octave is doubled so forth

for instance a small hatch back car probably has peaks at about 30hz and about 60 hz, 60 hz would be easier to produce due to the ability to double the sound waves in the same amount of space

This is just a example

there are also other ways Octaves work

20hz 60hz- 180hz- 540hz just an example (tripling the octave)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Right on. So then are octaves of any importance when planning a new enclosure ???

Fish

when it comes to sub boxes dont worry about octaves.

If you tune your box to peak at 40hz, one octave up is 80hz which should be filtered with a lowpass crossover anyway. and one octave down is 20hz which is the lower limit of human hearing.

Octaves are important to know about when adjusting EQs, they have no bearing on box design.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion