OK so before i go and sign up for a computer forum I figure I check with my SMD peephs first.

I put together this computer I'm not sure exactly the details of it but I'm on it right now so for the most part it works.

However, I try to connect an external hard drive via usb and I come up with an error saying I need a "Hi Speed USB Host Controller" I have no idea what that is. From the research I do it should be something that should be part of the mother board. Some of the basics of the computer that I know is listed:

Compaq casing and I think mother board

Pentium 4

Windows XP Pro

I'm not sure what else to list and if I know the answer either. Any help would help. I've already logged onto Microsoft and that place is one link after another. I've also downloaded a driver dr. B.S. and that didn't help anyeither. so I'm lost. pLEAse HelP.

If its a compaq motherboard, you should be able to goto compaqs website and download the usb drivers. You will most likely have to take the side panel off the case and look for the model number of the motherboard.

If that doesnt work and you still get the error after installing the driver, your problem maybe that it is too old and doesnt support usb 2.0. Some older motherboards only support usb 1.1, if thats the case it have to be a pretty old computer (chances are if its a pentium 4 it should be usb 2.0)

If you still cant get nothing to work, you can goto wal-mart or a officemax, office depot etc and buy a PCI usb 2.0 card that would plug into the pci slots on your mother board, they usally cost about $20.