Help With A Comp Set

siucsaluki11

Well, today i went around to a few shops in the Indianapolis area, visiting family for xmas, and one of the shops suggested going to parts express and looking around there when i asked about component sets. He said you can build your own component set for cheaper than you can buy one, and it will sound just as good, sometimes better. Well, im lookin around on partsexpress.com and realized something, i have no idea what the fuck im doing. I dont know how to pick the speakers and crossovers so that when all is said and done it will handle "x" watts RMS at "y" Ohms. Im thinking of doing a 3-way component system, anyone got any pointers?

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Take a look at the Dayton 4 ohm mids in the size you want. Tweets can be had from parts express or get some Vifa's from madisound.com.

You can use any car audio passive crossover you want, just check the frequency range for the mids.

As far as 3-way passive, do the same as above, but get a decent midbass and you will need a seperate midbass crossover. Easy way would be the MBQuart add-a-woofer.

I run a passive 3-way set up front, Vifa tweets, Dayton 4" mids, and Selenium midbasses, 115 watts to each side and they get plenty loud, and cost was very cheap.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

thanks, i looked on madisound shortly after i originally posted this, they dont have much in the way of affordable 4 ohm speakers. I am thinking of running 2 sets of 2 way comps with the drivers in the doors and the tweets idk where theyre goin yet. But There are some SEAS ones that look pretty nice on paper (to the best of my knowledge) but theyre 8 ohm. im thinking since im running 2 ways i could run each pair of speakers (the 7"s and the tweeters on each side) in parallel so the system would be on a 4 ohm impedance. Does that sound like a possibility?

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

If you want a ton more info than you need and have extra time. Try this forum DIY Mobile Audio these guys are SQ fanatics and have used a lot of the Parts Express stuff. Tang Band is another brand I hear good things about.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

Archived