Sundown Audio

Lookin For An Amp

siucsaluki11

Alright, im lookin at gettin ready for my next setup that ill be installing this year. Originally i was gunna go with a pair of Fi BL 18s, but now im leaning towards 4 AQ HDC3 15s. Im wanting to push around 5-6k RMS total. Im thinking either one big amp or a pair of amps. Im not trying to go too outrageously expensive here. I mean, a pair of AQ2200Ds would do the job just fine and be around $800. Im trying to keep it to no more than $1500 for the amp(s) since ill already be dropping around a grand on subs, and probably a grand on electrical upgrades. Since were on the topic of electrical upgrades. To run this much power (not counting what will be being put out to my mids and highs) what am i going to want to do as far as electrical upgrades. The car is a '00 blazer with a stock batt, stock 110A alt and a single run of 4ga. I know im going to need a HO alt (maybe a dual alt setup?), big 3 in 1/0, atleast one run of 1/0 to the back and finally the extra batteries. Depending on how much this is all gunna cost, i may do it in stages, ex. start off with a pair of HDC3s and an amp for them, then do the electrical upgrades and what not, and once thats all done, all ill have to do is save up enough for 2 more subs and an amp since the electrical will already be solid.

Now for another ? i just thought of. If im running that much power (havent heard a system over 1kw in my area and the 1kw system is in my blazer) will sound deadener even do anything? I mean, will it still help get rid of the rattles if im using that much power?

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

2 SAZ-3000Ds would work well, or 2 Atomic AT3000.1Ds (same amp)

Basically any 2 3000w monos, haha.

SAZ-3000Ds and hellfires are outta my price range for a pair of em. I could do a pair of AQ3500Ds or 2200Ds. Ive also been looking at the VLFs (VLF500.1 or a pair of VLF 200.1s) by american bass and the crunch GP3000Ds. I might be able to get a pretty good price (damn near at cost or at cost + shipping) on the VLFs and GP3Ds. I realize that the pair of hellfires would cost as much as a pair of AQ3500Ds, but if i go with the dollar per watt ration, its a better deal for me to go with the AQ amps.

Is there a website for atomic? I cant seem to find one. I got a quote for around 1500 for the atomic 5kw, but the guy originally gave me a price in Trinidad dollars, so i dont think ill be going through them since either its bullshit and hes stealing my money, or ill be paying out the ass in shipping.

Now, i realize this isnt going to be a cheap install. The subs are going to run me about a grand for 4 of em. Amps are not cheap, and neither is wiring or batts, alternator and dual alt bracket and all that jazz.

What all would i need to do to my electrical system in order to be able to run this kinda power? Also, im going to be doing either a 3way comp set or 2 2way comp sets up front. Ill need to be powering those also (thinking maybe VLF 160.4) so i can still hear my mids and highs. Im guessing this is going to call for quite a bit of electrical upgrades. Currently i have a stock batt, stock 110A alt and a run of 4ga. Im thinkin ill need 2 runs of 1/0, maybe a single run of 3/0 (dont really see people running 3/0 so why not do something different if itll work) a HO alt (how many amps though and maybe a dual alt setup in my blazer) and more batts. Oh ya, and also lookin at a MLA module so the alts will be puttin out about 15.5V. Is this overkill or will this be sufficient, or will i need more? I dont mind slight dimming, but i dont want crazy dimming of the lights and i really dont want the stereo to cut off due to huge voltage drops.

Now, looking at all this, its not going to be cheap, so Im thinking this may be done in parts. Start off with a pair of the 15s and one amp, do the wiring/electrical so it will handle the full setup (or atleast the 2 subs, one amp and leave out the 2nd alt till i do the next stage), this way i can have the electrical done (or atleast mostly done) and only have to do it once.

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

You can get 2 SAZ-3000Ds or Hellfires for less than $1500

db-r.com has refurbs for $660 each for the 3000D

and DAT pre-sale for Hellfires is $650 - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=34779

EDIT: There's also a sale on IA20.1's at the moment. 2 of them ought to do close to 5kw ;/

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

If i go with sundown I would have to go with a refurbed. I dont always have an issue with refurbed, just when i know verry little about the company that is making the product (though ive only heard good things) and is it refurbed by the people who run db-r or is it refurbed by sundown? Thats the only thing that would kinda turn me off. One of the reasons i was looking at AQ is because, though i will probably never see that full 7k (not sure i wanna do that to those subs even though ive been told theyll handle it), ill have the ability to hit that full 7k. Also, when the voltage drops below 14.x volts ill still be making my 5k, well, fairly sure i will be. TBH i could possibly pick up a pair of those crunches for less than the cost of a single sundown or AQ amp. Not too sure on the cost of the higher powered VLF modles, but the guy at a store wanted 550 for either the 110 or 120 (cant rememeber which) but ive gotten quoted at less from the same person who i could possibly get the crunch amps from. Any advice on the electrical upgrades required? When talking about this kinda power i really dont know what to do as far as upgrades.

When you get an amp from dB-r it will be done right and they have the warranty to back it up. His solder joints come out stronger than the originals. Their 1yr warranty is the best refurb warranty I've ever seen. Most places only do 30-90 days.

If this was my setup I would look to put at least 1500watts into each sub. With 6kwatts on tap I recommend at least a 300a alternator, biggest battery you can fit under the hood, and at least 2 (preferably 3-4) group 31 batteries in the rear like the PowerMaster D3100.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg